How make my Ayre system "warmer"?

Hello and happy christmas!

Please help to make How make my Ayre system "warmer".

My System:
Ayre K-5xe
Ayre V-5xe
Ayon Eagle (speaker with Accuton ceramic chassis)
Linn UniDisk 1.1
Cardas Golden Reference XLR
Shunyata Phoenix speaker cables

It´s a great system. It´s makes so many things very very good but it´s a little bid on the "lean" or "clean" side.

How can I change this to be "warmer" without loosing transparency and tonality and musical enjoyment? Other cables? Would be an K-1x as preamp a real step forward? Or an C-7xe as red book player. I love the Linn because he´s DVD playing is great (picture and sound).

Thanks!

Tom
tje
os ot time to mention the "e" word, as an "equalizer" ?

i'll duck now.

my friend uses a deqx with some positive benefits.
Tubes don't add distortion until they are driven to distortion. Then they produce even-order harmonics rather than the odd-order harmonics that SS devices produce when over-driven. I personally own a tubed CDP, tubed power amps, and still enjoy very transparent(coloration and distortion-free) music. Some tubes, most generally from Britain (ie:NOS Mullard/Brimar), will provide a much "warmer" or more "sugary"(think, "glazed") coloration. Many obviously like that sound, as these tubes are very popular. Should you decide to add a tubed component to your system: Try some of those, and you'll probably be well pleased.
Mullard and Brimar tubes sound different enough to me that I
would not put them together under the same "sugary and glazed" umbrella.

I have rolled Mullard Blackburn production tubes with Amperex 6922 white
label tubes and Siemens CCa, ECC88, E88CC and E188CC. To my ears, these
tubes sound more alike than not. The Siemens have the least coloration, and
the Mullard have the most coloration, but the differences between them are
not nearly as pronounced as between even the Mullard and Brimar (which to
my ears sound quite colored and rolled-off).

I like Mullards. They round off the sharp edges with a very slight burnish
while still maintaining the air and detail of Siemens and Amperex.

IMO...but this is a bit off topic.

Back on topic, perhaps Tje experimented with a tube preamp that did not
have an output impedance that was a good match for the Ayre amplifier. This
would explain the lack of dynamics. Using a properly matched tube preamp
with Mullard tubes could definitely warm things up a little (but not a great
extent). Installing Brimar tubes could warm things up a great deal, but the
sound is going to be very different than the clean and neutral SS Ayre sound.
Tubes don't add distortion until they are driven to distortion. Then they produce even-order harmonics rather than the odd-order harmonics that SS devices produce when over-driven.

Then why, to cite what I admit is probably a somewhat extreme example, would the CJ PV15 line stage preamplifier have a thd spec of 1%? And why would some older ARC power amp designs that I can recall have thd specs of 3% or so? I'm sure a little research would turn up a considerable number of other examples as well, of highly regarded tube designs that have highish thd numbers, when operated within rated limits.

Obviously I was not referring in my previous post to the major distortions that would result from overdriving or clipping. Any non-linearity that occurs within the normal operating range of a tube or other amplifying device will result in small amounts of distortion, that may be sonically significant, especially in low feedback designs. Distortion that I believe would likely be a significant factor in what is perceived to be the particular tube or the particular design's sonic "signature."

Regards,
-- Al
You might keep in mind that tubes are not the only components in those pieces of equipment, and that designers of SS equipment have historically taken vastly more drastic steps to minimize distortion figures(ie: typically 40db of negative feedback), usually to the detriment of actual sound quality. Tubes are innately very linear(into RF frequencies), but unfortunately, provide relatively little gain/transconductance(low output current) and high plate resistance, hence the need for matching transformers. A great deal of the distortion inherent in tube amp design results from the use of transformer output coupling, not the tube itself.