The Economy.. will hi end audio mfgs lower prices?

The state of California just laid off 20,000 employees. National unemployment is at a 30 year high.

Will there be a shake-out in high end audio? Will we continue to see $10k preamps and $30k amps?

According to the article below, prices of most consumer goods, especially big ticket consumer goods are going down.

....copy and paste it into your browser

http://finance.yahoo.com/tech-ticker/article/176714/American-Retail-Goods-On-Sale-Now----and-Forever?tickers=sks,%5Egspc,%5Edji,wmt,jwn,wfmi,cost
128x128mitch4t
Predictions are always difficult. Having said that, I think there will always be a high end, wealthy consumers will always exist. Big ticket items also have higher margins than the lower priced spread, they can lower the prices, continue to make a good profit, ie. remain viable.

I can't see how there wouldn't be some shake-out, less purchasers means less sales, some have to suffer. I would thing this would be more in the mid and mid high end, however, the less wealthy are more affected by downturns in the economy.

I do think the long run will see lower prices generally, supply and demand rules. We've lived in an over leveraged bubble economy for far too long, its going to take some time to pay down our debts and get right side up.
No, but they should and dealers should cut their share.
Most of manufacturers will not do it and will die. Its good. Manufacturer which does not build its business model around customer but around dealer network (now it was 3/4 dead even in 2008) will die! and soon

Its good for the industry, its good for us - consumers, MUSIC LOVERS. I don't want companies which want to sell me something for extra money and then not to repair on time or not repair at all, ship, for example, amplifier back to customer WITHOUT checking if its working (and not on bench but by listening) - they should die.

Most of us had this experience - we send back our equipment not once, not twice, but three - sometimes four and more times (depending on your patience). No more !!!!

Will stay first class dealers, dealers who have extensive network of friendly customers and similar minded manufacturer. It will be easier for all of us who will remain and with reachable price and with quality and with support.

Storm is coming and all $h..t will die. Will be less stinks around.

All The Best
Rafael
The used market is sure feeling the pinch. There are more great deals right now than I can ever remember seeing, and very little is sold. Of course one of the problems is most potential buyers need to move something first which they can't do so it all sits.

On that note I've always wished we had the ability to search pending and sold listings. If I've missed something about how to do that would someone let me know?