mcintosh amps any one can explain impedance taps

any one that knows what is happening when you try driferent omh taps on the amp the amp is rated at same power 8 4 or 2 omhs so what does it do when you try driferent taps thanks
majic
al i did try 4 ohm taps the amp was gettig to close to the end were i like to play my music my amp is solid state it seam to have the same out put but useing the 2omh taps does two things lowered my out put meters and is more detailed in the sound i think my maggies dip down more then i thaught thanks
I had always heard that Magnepans were a resistive load. Is that no longer the case? Or was I misled from the outset?

I also seem to recall that they were 6 ohm.
Almarg, your post is correct regarding tube amps, however Majic's amp is solid state. McIntosh uses autoformers on their top solid state amps, so it is a different ballgame.
I found out that experimenting is the best option with a Mac Mc402, for example, Gallo Nucleus 3.1 speakers (8 ohms spec) sound better connected to the 4 ohm tap.
Thanks for pointing that out, Casouza. I hadn't realized the amp was solid state when I made my post.

Regards,
-- Al