are all amps equal

I have recently gotten the Mcintosh bug, but a friend of my who does a LOT or reading on the net says power output is the answer not the name. I am looking for the best sound I can get in the 3k$ range for my Usher Be 718s. I have looked at many used Mcintosh units in the 200 watt plus output area, but my friend says a new 250 watt Emotiva would be a better value. The Emotiva is around $800.
I would like some imput.. Thanks, Don
keslerd
Re skin effect, following is a quotation from this paper, http://svconline.com/mag/avinstall_designer_cables_critical/, by Bill Whitlock of Jensen Transformers, who is a distinguished authority in relevant areas. See his bio here: http://www.jensen-transformers.com/execprof.html

Skin effect is another problem exaggerated by hype. As frequency increases, current flow in a wire tends to concentrate toward its outer surface, causing an increase in AC resistance. At 20 kHz, for example, skin depth is 0.018 inch (0.46 mm), where 63% of current flow is between the surface and this depth (see footnote 4 below). For line-level audio interconnects, the effect is absolutely inconsequential even if center conductor resistance doubles or triples, because it accounts for less than 0.01% of total circuit resistance anyway. For loudspeaker cable, there may be some measurable effects because total circuit impedance is lower, but we're still talking about increases in resistances that, if the wire gauge is properly chosen for reasonable losses, are negligible in the first place.

(footnote 4) Ralph Morrison, "Solving Interference Problems in Electronics," John Wiley & Sons, 1995, pp. 61-62.

Regards,
-- Al
Al - that exactly what I said "if wire gauge is properly chosen".

There is a lot of hype, but also there is a lot of experts and each of them claim something similar about different aspects of the speaker cable construction. If you add their opinions you find out that lamp cord from Home Depot is as good as the best speaker wire. I had cable like that once - cheap very thick, stranded and sound was horrible.

I wonder what explanation "experts" give for power cord differences - that will be fun. I don't know why power cords sound different but I don't question that they do, and just maybe not being renown "expert" allows me to still learn.
Well, after spending sometime on the order form I pushed the button to order those cables with the before mentioned company, I just be d.... PayPal poped up and didn't want my credit card... I did not ask for PayPal, will not do business with them, just want to put the order on my card. I called Jean explained the problem, they said they were about to close for the day. I don't have a lot patience, so I went over to Audio Advisor got some Black Mamba II, and spent even more. I no longer have just wire.
Keslerd, you'll be surprised at the wide range of price for interconnects, speaker/power cables and vibration isolators. Price to performance relationship tend to correspond much better for equipment than for these peripheral items. It might save you money to do a little internet research on how these peripheral performs (opinions from professional reviewers) before buying. When I began my venture into the expensive audiophile world, with equipment in the $1000-2000 range, peripherals at $50-100 seem to best serve the equipment. It works up in price as I slowly get better equipment. These peripherals are highly important to faithfully transport and protect the sound that your equipment is trying to give you, but you have to be careful on which one to pick so you don't loose that price edge advantage. Sorry if this comes a little late.
If you dampen the volume knob with gum, you have then opened up a NEW gate to Audio my friend.... Everything will be more liquid and real.
Hope this helps.
Over and out,thats a big ten four,what it is.
ILBT!!!