are all amps equal

I have recently gotten the Mcintosh bug, but a friend of my who does a LOT or reading on the net says power output is the answer not the name. I am looking for the best sound I can get in the 3k$ range for my Usher Be 718s. I have looked at many used Mcintosh units in the 200 watt plus output area, but my friend says a new 250 watt Emotiva would be a better value. The Emotiva is around $800.
I would like some imput.. Thanks, Don
keslerd
Kijanki,

There is a lot of distortion in power supply transformers - AC power has all kinds of terrible harmonics to begin with and can often look more like a square wave than a sinusoid - but who cares - the idea is to prevent all this stuff from ever reaching the power supply rails or the audio signal by careful design.
Kijanki, I'm definately with you on this one . . . an interesting comparison is the differnces between these conduction-angles and time-constants between tube and solid-state amps. Tube amps have lossier power transformers, (sometimes) tube rectifiers, C-L-C or L-C filtering (and more RC for the small-signal stages) . . . which all seems to have the effect of making the filtering time constants much longer than a typical SS amp - in both directions.

Then there's another little detail that is so often ignored - the fact that the vast majority of "DC coupled" solid-state amps are in fact capacitively coupled . . . Kirchhoff's law says the AC ground current from the speaker has to go somewhere, so it returns through the main filter capacitors. It's just that they're in the feedback loop all the way to DC that makes DC offset possible at the output, thus making it "DC coupled".
Kirkus - Tubes should be better then, for reducing power related hash. I'm getting interested in power cables and their effect on the sound. My Benchmark DAC has regulated linear supply while my Rowland 102 has a switcher. I have to find some testimonies on power cables - I'm not sure where to start - possibly with the same brand as my interconnect and speaker cable (Acoustic Zen). Is there any science behind power cables other than gauge, inductance and shielding?

Your DC coupling observation is very interesting one and suggest that good sound depends more on the quality of this cap than we think. Good low ESR low inductance caps are expensive (like slit foil type) and fixing cheap ones with Mylar cap in parallel can make it worst by adding lossless cap in parallel to inductive cap creating in effect resonant circuit that rings (and is in the signal path).