Krell Power Consumption

Hi,

I'm a bit new to ultra high end. I'm considering a Krell Evolution 402. One thing that jumps out at me is the power consumption in standby. The manual says it draws over 300 watts in stand by and recommends that you leave it on all the time. 300 watts 24/7. Good grief. Is this bogus or just the price you pay for a serious amplifier?

thanks for any advise.
Ag insider logo xs@2xwrf
Rhljazz...

That is so besides the point in what you had said.
FYI, I dont care the extra money needed to be spent in keeping the amps on standby. My point is why can't Krell make the new Evo amps consume the same amount as the older models.

Before you go into another one.... I just bought a pair of their reference mono's. :)

Cheers.
The evolution amps are not class A anymore and they contain twice as many parts that are off the shelf garden variety sourced. Only the EVO amps are Class A. The Evolution amps are dry and lacking in color...Duh, no Class A, that's why...I owned the 402 and sold it quickly!
Dave b...

Seems like you never tried the 402 with their newer evolution pre amps hence you found them dry sounding. You are spot on regarding only the Evo-1 being class A... go back and read what I said. Duhhhhh.
I owned the 202, 402 and 505. My previous FPB series amps and pre-amps had more tonal color and were more liquid.
Dave b,

You are correct that the FPB are tonally more liquid but when compared to the newer evo series especially the 202 pre to KCT, it is more correct and made the kct sounded very slow and dull.

Thanks