Tubelike SS Power amp

Looking to mate tube pre with SS power amp based on input off this board. Want to get warm sound and need high current for relatively inefficient Ohm Walsh 2 speakers...100 wrms@8ohm target power. Suggestions?
joekapahulu
06-14-09: Redwoodgarden
Nelson Pass makes a great sounding pure class A amplifier series with the prefix of "XA" that sounds exactly like the best tube amplifiers, but are actually solid state.

I own Pass XA-.5 amps, and I have owned half a dozen tube amps. The XA-.5 amps have some similar characteristics of the tube amps (grain free clarity, liquidity), but they do not sound like tube amps, IMO.

First and foremost, the solid state amps lack the three dimensionality of the tube amps I have owned.

That's how I hear the differences in my system anyway.
Tvad: I have never owned a tube amp, but I was going to buy one until I heard the Pass XA amps. The advantage of the Pass amp is that it sounds like a tube amp (IMO), but without the hassle of dealing with tubes. Why did you switch from tube amps with their three dimensionality to the Pass XA.5 amp? Which tube amps did you have that had the three dimensionality that you liked? I have not bought a new amp yet, and I'm still up in the air about tubes vs. SS. I have Khorns so I need the laid back, three dimensional sound of tubes. What would you recommend?
06-14-09: Redwoodgarden
Why did you switch from tube amps with their three dimensionality to the Pass XA.5 amp?

Because I could not find a tube amp that would produce satisfactory balanced frequency response on my speakers. The Pass Labs do the job.

I have owned and liked VAC Phi 110/110, VAC Musicbloc 160 and Atma Sphere M-60.

A good friend used George Wright AU-15 amps with his K-Horns. He claimed the AU-15 were the best amps he had ever heard.
Why not look for something that plays back the music the way it sounded when it was recorded?

Just a thought.

Tim
Tim-

I think that's what everyone does...the "issue" is that everyones perception of "the way it sounded when it was recorded" is different.