Tubelike SS Power amp

Looking to mate tube pre with SS power amp based on input off this board. Want to get warm sound and need high current for relatively inefficient Ohm Walsh 2 speakers...100 wrms@8ohm target power. Suggestions?
joekapahulu
Jafox, I'll answer your questions that were directed toward my comments.

06-16-09: Jafox
A tube preamp used with a solid state amp will not produce the same magic.

As what, a solid state preamp with a tube amp?

I general, yes. In my opinion, a tube amplifier has a greater influence on three
dimensional sound than does a tube preamp. This is based on my experience
using a few tube preamps with several different amplifiers (four solid state,
one hybrid and three tube). The tube amps, closely followed by the hybrid
amp, provided the most three dimensional sound.

I have owned or auditioned a couple of tube preamps that sounded as flat as
any solid state preamp. So, a tube preamp cannot guarantee three
dimensional sound, even if used with a tube amp.

First and foremost, the solid state amps lack the three
dimensionality of the tube amps I have owned.

I would not argue with this, but who cares unless you have a top-performing
tube line stage in the system as well.

I own an SMc Audio VRE-1 preamp. I would gladly and without hesitation
match it with a tube amplifier and expect the three dimensional magic to
remain.

There are always exceptions. I do not disagree that many tube preamps will
provide a more three dimensional presentation than most solid state
preamps.

I absolutely agree that a tube regulated power supply highly desirable.
In my system, Luxamn M800a amps sound extremely close to vac phi300.1 in many aspects including the sense of space. I used different preamps and results are similar. I tried Pass, Classe, ML, Rowland, Boulder and these have their own strength but none mimic the tube sound like the Luxman.

IMHO, some SS amps can sound close to modern sounding kt88 or 6550 type tube amps operating in ultralinear or pentode mode. When I had the Vac in triode mode, the delicacy improves further and pulls away slightly from the Luxman in inner detail.

I doubt there is a SS amp that sound similar to the best of SET or OTLs when driving suitable speakers.
Conrad Johnson pretty much invented the "tube" sound as many of us know it. The SS amps they make are amazing. If you're on a budget their sonographe line is amazing! enjoy enjoy!
I highly recommend the B&K ST-202 amplifier. Sound is warm, very tube like and the power is 140wpc (DIN) into 8 ohms both channels.

I was lucky enough to pick up one of the old black with gold anodized handles versions from the early 1980s. The thing is a beast with the big external heatsinks in the back and it sounds very detailed and musical. Best part? You can find one used for around $400.

Read the reviews:
http://www.epinions.com/content_261998349956
http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/b-and-k-components/amplifiers/st-202/PRD_124825_1583crx.aspx