Audio Research Ref 5 preamp

Hi,

I currently own the ARC Ref 3. I know its early, but I was wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to do a comparison of the new ARC Ref 5 compared to the ARC Ref 3 and if so, what are the sonic differences that you heard. Any input would be helpful. Thanks
128x128babybear
Kurt,

I found about the same thing when I did a direct a/b with the Ref 5 an Ref 3. Nice job......
I can only say Thank God someone in the mainstream is finally cottoning onto R-core transformers, as low definition images of the innards of the Ref 5 seem to indicate they have begun using. Maybe now efficiencies of R-core windings will bring musical joy to more of us. If that is an R-core strapped to the other chassis side opposite the toroidal on the other then I congratulate Audio Research on a fine initial move that way.
say I want to tube roll the stock 6550c tube. I have a Tung Sol 6550, is it okay if I drop that in? I just want to make sure because I don't know what 6550c means in comparison to 6550. Also, there hasn't been any post, buzz or reviews on this preamp lately. Any owner impressions to add?
Compared to my old Ref 3 it has tighter bass and plays complex demanding passages more cleanly. I guess I would call it more " precise". To me it was worth it but some might prefer the Ref 3's darker character. - Jim
Kclone - I assume you mean original US-made Tung Sol 6550s, which run fine in ARC power supplies. I also think they sound better there than current Russian tubes do. The original Tung Sol puts out a bit less power than a 6550A or 6550C (35 watts as opposed to 42, I believe), but I don't think there is much question that they were the best sounding 6550's ever made.