Class-D or switching amps, any opinions on??

Does anybody have experience on Class-d or switching amps vs either a/b or traditional amps?? I have heard people knock them for limited ability at the low frequencies. However, I listened to a Linn amp not long ago and could not hear it wanting for anything. I want to hear a Rotel switching amp to compare. Why buy a massive 90lb amp thats a space heater if you dont have to, right???
128x128bobrock
Al, I won't make an issue of whatever it is you opin Sam said. He could clear up his intent with an additional post.

The ONLY amp I know of which can claim the title 'Digital' is the new NAD M2.

It operates in the digital mode, which I expect to be the real definition of 'digital amp'.
I thought the question was "Does anybody have experience on Class-d or switching amps vs either a/b or traditional amps??" The question seemed general enough, not technical in nature. "true digital" seems to me as elusive as "true class A". Hard to get folks to agree on the term. Class D means "not an analog amp" to most of us. FWIW Tact amps can be digital input only, or may have an analog input in addition.
Hello Kijanki:
Many people participated in the development of class D technology. However, as journal Sound & Vision reported in "50 Greatest A/V Innovations", January 2008 issue:

"DIGITAL AMPLIFIERS

Going back to the Infinity SWAMP-1 of the mid-1970s, digital amps have had a checkered history, but they seem finally to have turned the corner in terms of reliability and performance. Highly efficient and cool-running, they promise to play a bigger role in the future."

John Ulrick at that time was chief designer of Infinity and SWAMP is his amp. Moreover, he introduced SWAMP as the first commercially available class D amplifier into the (hi-fi) audio world at CES 1974.

So without taking a credit from anyone who worked in the filed of this technology, Spectron chief designer John Ulrick is generally recognized as the father of Hi-Fi class D audio amplifiers

All The Best,
Rafael
Have a PS Audio Trio C-100 Cullen modded(stage III) hooked to a pair of Quad 11Ls. They have really brought the Quads to life. The amp makes them seem faster without diminishing the musicality.
Have Bel Canto Ref 1000s hooked up to Reference 3A Grand Veenas. I'm waiting for a pr of Wyred Reference amps(class D) to be built. Have both an analog and tube front end.
Dod - I just wondered why you call him "inventor" when class D is known from 50's and Sinclair X-10 was sold in stores both as a product and a kit in 1964 (12 year earlier). It was followed shortly by X-20.

Samujohn - class D does not mean "not analog" - it is purely analog in 99% cases. The fact that output stage switches between two voltage levels doesn't make it digital because time and not the voltage is analog quantity here. Word "digital" was used by uniformed people and became popular name for class D. I don't have anything against calling it "digital" as long as you realize it is not.

As for digital inputs making amplifier "digital" it would be true for any amp. Combining in one box DAC and tube amp would make it "digital amp" - nothing to do with a class of an amp.