DCS Puccini into Lamm M 1.2 w/o preamp?

Hi,
any thoughts about going directly from a DCS Puccini into the Lamm M 1.2 monos? I've read that the Puccini should work pretty good fed directly into a power amp. Currently I'm using a ARC Ref 3 with a pair of Parasound JC 1, planning to substitute the JC 1 with the Lamms to get more body and weight to the sound. Speakers are the Isophon Cassiano with the diamond tweeters.

Thanks!
Martin
mluding
Hi Kyomi_audio,
If you know of a great preamp please tell me. I think my list is even shorter.

I liked the VTL 7.5 very much and a few ARCs including the ref 3, I am trying the ref 5. The SS orpheus pre was good too.

I am afraid most were tube preamps I am accusing of dumbing down.

I found that many tube pres added a form of soundstage depth through that fat/rounded lower mid and bass or lack of control of it.

I know many audiophiles love that and think that is what highend sounds like. I dont want to hear the equipment. I want to hear what the guys in the studio decided on. Not some guy that found he liked rolled off treble or some eq or whatever. I got so bored of tube rolling.

For some music that was fine. But across the board that masking made it difficult for me to enjoy the wide range of musical styles I listen to. Especially when you have the option to hear your source direct. I only have 1 source so it is less of a problem for me.

To name and shame a few would be harsh, but some were the CAT Ultimate ,Audio valve (although great for the money), ARC LS25,LS17, some SS types were Musical fidelity, Levinsons (the no 32 was good). To be honest none could compete with direct in. It is even worse with high sensitivity speakers as any residual noises are laid bare.

Ultimately attenuation is all that is needed if everything else is working well.
I have shortly heard the dCS Puccini driving directly a Rowland 312 ...

yes, more transparent, more details but maybe almost too bright ... ?

I have to make the test on my system
About a year ago, I would have been a big proponent of the concept that direct is best and most pure. I went to great lengths to purchase the best cables, powercords, and isolation to optimize the sound. I too figured that the money saved on a preamp could be spent on other supportive components. Then I tried a preamp...

What is paradoxical about a really good tubed preamp is that there is actually more detail to the music. Here is what I notice:
1) There is a harmonic richness, depth, and texture in the midrange that sounds like music.
2) The sound is more dynamic, energetic, and interesting.
3) Better integration of the frequencies across the spectrum.
4) More information about the venue and staging. Music is more 3-dimensional and palpable.
5) The treble is not rolled, but there is less hardness and glare on top. The upper end has sweetness and air.
6) Digital volume has unacceptable loss of detail and dynamics at moderate to low volumes. I realize this now although I would not have thought it to be true.
7) There is a very, VERY subtle and very natural softening of the note onsets, with a natural decay.
8) There is no compromise to the background silence. I run the Wadia at the highest voltage out to minimize the gain on the preamp.

Now, I don't think any preamp is capable of exceeding digital direct. Also, I believe digital direct can be entirely satisfying. The preamp I am using is incredibly overbuilt at 80 lbs, two chassis, two power cords, and 16 tubes. There are probably a handful of preamps like this. I also tried a passive preamp, but it only degraded the sound. Although I found direct to be quite satisfying before, when I had to take the preamp out of the system two months ago for repairs, I just wasn't very interested in listening anymore.

I am generalizing about the DCS because that is not what I have. Also, horn speakers may be adding something to the sound that brings it closer to live music. My only point is to remain open to the possibility of coming closer to live music. After all, that is what this hobby is about. I think manufacturers like BAT, Joule, Lamm, VAC, Wavac, and Shindo are creating excellent preamps that may be worth a try.
Hi Rtn1,

Thanks for the info.

I would agree with most of what you say. I have heard the same effects. Not just with preamps but headphone amps too.

In my case things are a little different probably due to speaker sensitivity. I have effortless dynamics right across the frequency range. The Trio is probably one of the finest speakers for this. Having said that it is ruthless with any changes made to the system.

That glare or maybe rawness you mention with direct in I have tuned out, both with a great DAC, and tweaks like internal fuses, power conditioning, regeneration and cabling.

The sound you describe is what a great limiter or compressor can do in the studio. By softening the peaks just enough, and bringing forward the body of the music. Then the added harmonic distortion can bring a sense of life and euphonics to the system.

I had the Lamm (although with a different speaker and front end). I would like to try the wavac. A friend of mine is the importer.

The pain is cabling as I am all XLRs. I am sure the Wavac is RCAs only.

I would like to hear the BAT in my system. I have a friend who has it but his system always sounds dark and moody to me.

I have heard the VAC renaissance sig, which sounded rich if not a bit slow and soft. It is quite nice. I dont know the Joule or Shindo although they all look single ended.

I fear this is why I am finding it tricky to find what I am looking for. I loved the mind boggling speed and purity of the Halcro DM amps and I also like that special thing ARC can do. I would love to find a product that mixed the 2. I find the DCS has a purity and a hint of warmth with unbelievable resolution.

As I said while I look for that elusive preamp, the direct in is extremely good.