Can you ever have too powerful amp for speakers?

Can you ever have "too powerful amp for speakers"?
Suppose you have a 300 watt per channel amp driving speakers that only demand, say 80-100 watts a channel or have high enough sensitivity, or a regular 8 ohm load, will some massive Audio Research or Krell amp, even if it is far in excess of what the speaker needs, it should be fine, right? You just never end up turning your preamp volume pot up very loud...or is it better to have an amp that you can peg the preamp much higher say 12 noon or 2 o clock?
dustbowl
Feil has a good point!

"Some of the big monsters are not light on there feet. They only do big well."

I know of one discerning person who is using a 500w/ch Class D icepower amp with 109 db efficient horn speakers. Overkill perhaps but that person has reported top notch results and a hesitancy to change.
From my experience, is better to have an amp that has higher power rating than the speakers, as gain settings are essential for your equipment durability.

The degree to which the volume knob gets twisted depends on the gain of both the preamp and amp (s) and the sensitivity of the squeakers…. mostly. This may or may not relate proportionately to the amount of power on tap. It does relate to the amount of power being generated/used for a certain volume level for a certain distance.

The more sensitive the squeakers, the less the knob gets twisted up… be it a 100, 200 or 350wpc amp.

Factors that play into this scenario are the amount of gain the preamp provides, the input impedance of the amp as it relates to the output imp of the preamp, impedance curve of the speaker system, their sensitivity, the distance from them to the listening position and the desired SPL.

For ex… Merely lowering the input imp of the amp alone, will force the volume knob upwards if all else remains the same.

Lowering the sensitivity of the loudspakers will force the knob up too.

The size of the room also will come into play regarding the spot the volume level resides at more often than not.

So there are several variables at play as to where the control gets to routinely.

The only bad spot for the volume knob as I understand it is setting it past 1-2 o’clock. If at 2 o’clock you ain’t satisfied with the SPL/vol level, some changes are in order for that system.

I’ve also heard here via other threads, depending on the type volume pot itself, (passive preamps?) the knob needs to be well into it’s range to realize less resistance and greater fidelity. Still I’d think getting past the 2PM spot a dicey situation, and not recommend doing it..

More power though is not a bad thing. Tons of info via many threads here will indicate just that. Each systems power needs or output will have it’s own precautions and configurations as the result.

Personally, I’d not lower my available power output just to get my volume knob farther up into it’s overall range.

If my preamp volume gets to the noon position, it’s because I’ve gone stone deaf, or very nearly. It’s either that or the neighbors across the street want to hear it too…. or I feel they should.
Alot of times speakers get blown when the amp starts clipping because of not enough power.