SUNFIRE vs COUNTERPOINT

Which preamplifier do you think sounds best? The Sunfire Classic Tube or the Counterpoint SA-5000A?
snoop65
If someone gave me a Counterpiont SA-5000A I would jump at the chance.. the Sunfire I would sniff at it and be far less interested.'Is that an answer?
I owned both in the past,the Sunfire a couple of years ago and the Counterpoint (used) about 15 years ago.

The Sunfire was an OK sounding preamp.The Counterpoint was exceptional!!!

Of course,I never heard them at the same session or had a chance to A/B the two,but I would opt for the SA-5000 in a heartbeat!!!

Is the Sunfire remote controlled? I cannot remember.If so,that would be the only advantage.
The Sunfire is remote controlled. I actually own both units.I got the Sunfire recently and realized it had never been retubed. I ordered new tubes so I can hear how good it can sound. That's why I would like to hear other peoples opinions to see if they match my own. Right now with the old tubes (they are Sovteks) I prefer the Counterpoint. The Sunfire seems to push instruments to far back (deeper soundstage?)for my taste. I will say it does seem to have more air than the Counterpoint. I will have the new tubes in another day or so (JAN Philips 6922 and Sovtek 12ax7 LPS) so both units will have the same tubes and give them some burn in time then I will see which one I really prefer.
You really need to compare the Counterpoint SA-5.1 instead of the SA-5000. Contrary to popular misconception, the SA-5.1 is superior to the SA-5000 and Michael Elliott who designed both will tell you that. The SA-5000 is filled with SS components and it does not have the same tube power supply voltage regulation that the 5.1 has. The SA-5000 is newer than the 5.1 and has a bigger chassis than the 5.1 and sold for more than the 5.1, but it was never better than the 5.1. The only *advantages* that the SA-5000 had over the 5.1 is that the 5000 can take low output MC cartridges straight in thanks to the J-FETs tied to the phono section tubes (which Mike removes if you send in the 5000 for an upgrade)and the loading is adjustable from the front panel instead of plug in resistors in the 5.1. However, with the 5.1 you can plug in whatever value of resistors you want and with the 5000 you are stuck with the set values. The bottom line is that the SA-5.1 is a much better sounding preamp than the SA-5000.