Miltiple amps for stereo Matrix 801's

I'm thinking about running two mono amps to each woofer and one better/newer stereo amp to the mid/tweets.

How would I do this coming from a single pair of balanced outs?
worldwide

No, I'd like to hear what you have to say on this.

Ten or fifteen years ago it was popular to bi-amp large speakers by using a SS amp for the LF and a tube amp for the HF.

In better active designs such as ATC's studio monitors one amp is used for each driver. Meridian also does this.

I'm not suggesting that I will get the same results by bi-amping through a passive x-over, but I do think I will achieve better results than a single amp would give me.
Don't remember that ever being popular. Probably more talked about than done, much less accomplished successfully. That said, a friend biamped with Manley Snappers and a Coda System 100 on Dunlavy SCIII's with fairly good luck, although it wasn't all luck for a guy that builds his own DAC and preamp.

There was a time when low impedance, 12 and 15 inch woofers ruled the land and were inexpensive enough to tempt partnering with cheaper amplification.

There was a time when many big amps were clumsy.

That time was called "The 80's" and the world has evolved, except B&W ;). Not all for the better. Perhaps the 80's should best be remembered for life before HIV.

As I said, it can be done. I've done it and learned a lot. Even with MOSFET amps of similar character but different qualities and a xover at 90Hz, matching was difficult. Tried a decent pot on the bass amp but was constantly fiddling with different volume settings and recordings and it never did sound right. Custom made an attenuator (23 step, 2 to 4 Kohm, SE additive) and that was leaps better. How's your soldering?

I've evolved to Genesis 350's with factory servo bass amp/adjustable active low pass (avoids passive inductors). Added an active high pass (NHT X2, simple, fixed 12dB/octave) at 30 Hz higher than stock passive. Next step would be full DSP, 3-way active with real time analysis and removing the passive completely and intact.

So you don't recommend bi-amping because of gain problems between the two amps and/or because each amp will perform differently based on the passive crossover points?
Not exactly.

In the context of this discussion and for 95% of the situations: Unless you happen to have amps laying around, one competent amp (or pair of monoblocks) is a better investment in time and funds than two "half" amps.

There's more complexity than has been mentioned. Ground loops, impedance, reactance, .... It's a journey that will let you know where you stand and where you're going.