Pass Labs:What to expect fm XA60.5 to XA100.5

Hi Guys,

Some of you may know that I have some buzz/hum issue in one of newly received XA60.5 mono blocks. The dealer diagnosed the problem and determined the transformer needs replacing. Since the XA60.5 is only few days old so I am given the chance to get a replacement set or I could top up the price difference to get the X350.5 or XA100.5s when my dealer gets their stocks in the next 3-4 weeks time.

Kudos to Pass Labs and the dealer's service for all the patience and after sales services...certainly very much appreciated and glad I go for Pass Labs.

As such, I have 3-4 weeks to listen to the current XA60.5 in my system while waiting for the stocks to arrive and make the final decision on the swap/upgrade.
elmerpoh
Some Pass X.5 owners will have to pipe in here, but for some reason I think the X.5 series might very well be more dynamic than the XA.5 series, but that you will lose some midrange liquidity moving from XA to X - not sure if that is a matter of power differences or circuit design differences. Class A is generally "smoother" and that might (not sure here) be we you notice as reduced "explosiveness" and "transient speed". As far as I can tell, the damping factor differences should not account for much (especially with your speakers).
If I understand your situation correctly you will have the opportunity to listen to both amplifiers. You will have a better chance of making a good decision if you listen to each one without expectations of what they will or won't do. Listening without preconceptions is a good thing.
I own a XA100.5 with WP Sasha. Before buying tha XA100.5, I compared it with a XA60.5 that is a very great amp. The difference between both is the bass are far better articulate,with XA100.5. I compared the XA100.5 with the X350.5, and I prefered the XA60 because it's much more musical, you feel more involved into the music. So if you do not need the power of the XA100, go to XA60.5.
^jp
I would expect the XA-100.5 to be "better" than the XA60.5 with the WP Sasha, that amp/speaker combo is better suited to the needs of the WP. But, as Onhwy61 points out, listening is worth 10,000 threads on the topic (now if you can only get rid of preconceptions during the listening - hard to do sometimes).

07-13-10: Onhwy61
If I understand your situation correctly you will have the opportunity to listen to both amplifiers. You will have a better chance of making a good decision if you listen to each one without expectations of what they will or won't do. Listening without preconceptions is a good thing.

07-13-10: Pubul57
I would expect the XA-100.5 to be "better" than the XA60.5 with the WP Sasha, that amp/speaker combo is better suited to the needs of the WP. But, as Onhwy61 points out, listening is worth 10,000 threads on the topic (now if you can only get rid of preconceptions during the listening - hard to do sometimes).

Hi Onhwy/Pubul,

My local dealer unfortunately does not have the XA100.5 or X350.5 in demo to listen/audit. I was even unable to hear XA60.5 before commiting. However prior putting my cash down, I was able to audit the X260.5(mono blocks) and XA30.5 on Sonus Faber Auditor M as the dealer is also a Sonus dealer. I like the mids and highs on the XA.5 but the XA30.5 lows was abit loose and not as articulate sounding as the X260.5. Thinking the XA60.5 monoblocks should better that concern and XA60.5 in my room indeed does better than what i heard on XA30.5 at the dealer's premises.

If not issue in one of the XA60.5's transformer,I would not be given the chance to change/upgrade models. Maybe sometime chance of choices are not that good afterall.

07-13-10: Jpspock
I own a XA100.5 with WP Sasha. Before buying tha XA100.5, I compared it with a XA60.5 that is a very great amp. The difference between both is the bass are far better articulate,with XA100.5. I compared the XA100.5 with the X350.5, and I prefered the XA60 because it's much more musical, you feel more involved into the music. So if you do not need the power of the XA100, go to XA60.5.

Hi Jpspock,
For my info, did you manage to try the XA100.5 and XA60.5 on the same WP Sasha? Was the comparison on the XA60.5 and X350.5 on the same speakers as well? Fully agree that the XA.5 has more magical high and mids than the X.5, that was what i felt when i hear the X260.5 and XA30.5 both on the Sonus Faber Auditor M.