new to tubes

i have never had any tube equipment and am thinking about trying it out. i am learning slowly about it and thinking about taking a leap with a lower priced piece. i currently have a Cambridge Audio 840v2 integrated amp and a pair of Fritz Grove monitors. my only source is a Squeezebox Touch. i already plan to get an Eastern Electric Dac. my only concern is how much power is enough to drive the groves as they are only 86db efficient. my room is only 13'x 11' treated,and i dont listen past 92 db. i'm thinking on the lines of a Jolida 502b to start. trying to stay under $1000 used. any thoughts?
rayray8
Your speakers have an 8 ohm rating, a minimum recommended power of 25 watts from the manufacturer and your room is very small. You shouldn't have any problems at all.
I agree with Learsfool. To implement tube amplification properly, you would have to rethink your speakers and replace them with a model that was more sensitive (at least 92dB, IMO) and with a flat impedance curve (preferably *minimum* 6 ohm nominal, with a low impedance not below 4 ohms).

The Fritz Grove speakers are not going to be a good match with a tube amp.

Also, you will undoubtedly receive some recommendations to implement a tube preamp to get some tube flavor. I disagree with this approach. It's a poor substitute for what you're really after, which is tube amplification.
Why not contact Fritz and ask directly from the manufacturer; never heave dealt with them but would hope you'd get a transparent answer
My Phase Tech PC 6.1 Two way base mounted speakers are 85 db... 8 ohms. Every tube amp I've owned has been able to run these units without issues.

The 'big deal' here is two fold... #1. speaker impedance.... 8 ohms nominal is a pretty easy load for most any tube amp. #2. Listening levels by prefference is a whole other world.

I suspect the above points are accurate and moderate powered tube amps ought to do fine there for you. Wethere or not you'll acheive 92db at your listening position is still one more story. SPL is the result of both the spaker abilities and the amps output. While you may have sufficient power to gain yourself , 92db at your chair, can the spaeker output those levels with aplomb?

I'm thinking they ought to come close if they don't. I'd opt for an amp with 75wpc and up.

the last thought is the 'tube' sound. it's relative you know? Differing tubes equate to differing views on the sound.... most all tubes though allow for a bit more rounding of the notes, and a skosh less razor edged approach to the notes, and usually much better decays. How sweet, fat, lush, romantic, full, and/or palpable the sound winds up being is on you.

As much as I enjoy tubes, and thtat took a while for me to discover, not every genre and style of music is best replayed by tube amps... IMHO. I feel they come close enough for me however, once you have the proper tube arrangement on hand, but I'd offer too, some music does better generally speaking, with SS amps inline.

I say this as the softness of your speakers (akin to my own 85db) might require you to do some serious rolling, or exchange your speakers for more incisive ones... down the road..... maybe.

My setup enables me to enjoy every musical genre quite well indeed. yet, a strong and very nice SS amp now and then is a real plus thing to have around at times, depending on the mood & musical selections.... ie., Little Feat... Def Lepoard... Queen... Rush... Joe Satriani...

Enjoy the ride and good luck.