new to tubes

i have never had any tube equipment and am thinking about trying it out. i am learning slowly about it and thinking about taking a leap with a lower priced piece. i currently have a Cambridge Audio 840v2 integrated amp and a pair of Fritz Grove monitors. my only source is a Squeezebox Touch. i already plan to get an Eastern Electric Dac. my only concern is how much power is enough to drive the groves as they are only 86db efficient. my room is only 13'x 11' treated,and i dont listen past 92 db. i'm thinking on the lines of a Jolida 502b to start. trying to stay under $1000 used. any thoughts?
rayray8
I use 50 watt amps with 82 db spendors with no problem.Take the plunge the water is fine!
I'd find out from Fritz the minimum impedance specification. If it's within two or three dB of 8 ohms, then you might get away with a push-pull tube amp, but I would buy as much power as you can afford. Closer to 100 watts the better.

The problem you run into with an uneven impedance curve and tube amps is unbalanced volume between bass and treble frequencies because more decibel watts (dBw) are put into the highs and mids than are put into the bass, which results in the common complaint of the sound being "too bright".

If the speakers have a relatively flat impedance curve, then this is not an issue.
In my bedroom system, I use a Jolida 102b (20 watts/channel) to drive Totem Model One Signatures (87 dB, 4 ohms) at low to moderate levels. With various upgrades (interconnects, power cords, and most especially tubes), the sound (and music) is remarkable. If you go with Jolida, make sure you get a late model unit with the standard factory upgrades (last year or so).
If the 86db/1W/1m sensitivity figure is accurate, it can be calculated that a 60W amp such as the Jolida 502 can provide a maximum spl of 99db at an 8 foot listening distance, neglecting room reflections. A 100W amp would provide 101db.

I second the concerns Grant (Tvad) expressed that if the speaker's impedance curve is significantly uneven (which I suspect is likely, based on the driver configuration), tonal balance problems would result with a tube amp. I did a quick search, but could not find an impedance curve for any of the Fritz speakers. I second the suggestion of contacting Fritz.

Regards,
-- Al
i appreciate all the comments. lots of different opinions here. i will contact fritz about his thoughts and report back.