Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Thanks to all for introducing this preamp. There are already comments on tubes, how about hook up suggestions like isolation devices, IC and power cords. Again thanks for the advice.
The Supratek preamps are pretty light. Therefore isolation with the usual spikes can be pretty difficult, not to mention the tube microphonics and noise you can experience with a light chassis preamp and a pair of old 6SN7's sitting on a hard surface.

What *I* did was buy three black diamond cones with threaded studs. I removed the copper bottom plate and then I drilled three holes - evenly spaced - & bolted on the studs.

I purchased resonance control material called "dynamat" and covered the inside of the copper bottom plate with it. I also added dynamat to various accessible areas on the inside of the preamp. This stuff limits resonance and helps a great deal when fighting tube harmonics.

With all the dynamat inside the preamp, I'd swear it added 10 pounds or so - but I'd be lucky if it was 2 pounds :)

I sit my Supratek (w/black diamond cones) on a rubber thing I purchased at home depot. I found this rubber thing in the plumbing department. I think it is used to make gaskets for pipes or something. It comes in a 12 x 12 size and fits nicely underneath the Supratek and is virtually invisible. This seems to further decrease resonance and drops the microphonics down even further.

The Supratek works fine with inexpensive power cords. I wouldn't go out of my way to put an Electraglide FatMan on it as the best results seem to come from ordinary cords. I am currently using a Bybee MkII power cord with good results. The Bybee seems to quiet things down a bit without making the preamp sound sterile (like with an Elecraglide) or adding colorations - actually I think its a perfect cord for the Supratek.

You might also try something like the Absolute Power Cord which doesn't "do" much - or Mark Bucksath (the outstanding Ultimate Audio reviewer who got the first glimpse of the Supratek) seems to have had good results with a Discovery power cord.
Fiddler,

I do not intend to offend you or any decent audiogoners here. Since, I have no way of knowing or hearing this pramp, therefore, out of curiousity, i am looking for insight review this preamp.I may order this preamp, if I can not find Klimo preamp for the momment.
thanks for your advice.

Tim
ps does this pramp provide two set of output postings? for
bi-amping?
Timchen, yes the Supratek preamps have two sets of outputs. You can use them for bi-amping or to run to a dedicated subwoofer.