Krell FPB 600 or 400cx?

I own Revel Ultima Salon 2s and am looking to upgrade my amp for better performance in the low end. Right now I'm just not getting any real punch or slam in the bass dept, and I know the Salons are capable of much more. I have the opportunity to go with a fpb 600 or the 400cx for around the same price. Any thoughts? Is the extra 200 watts of power on the 600 worth losing any sonic benefits of cx? Or is the cx so superior sonically that there's no comparison?

Thanks.

Josh
punishen1
Matjet,

Thank you for your excellent information. Can you elaborate on CAST technology...(like, what is it!?)...also, on how to mate a preamp/processor with a CAST unit (i.e.: compatibility...what to look for).

I was planning to use my PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC as a preamp. Do you see any issues? Also, did you say that the S-275 as CAST technology?

Thanks again, and happy new year (Happy New Year to All of you sick twisted audiophiles - and I mean that in a very sincere way...tongue firmly planted in cheek!!)

Cheers!

_Ben
Matjet,

I have a Lexicon MC12B and a Pass Lab X-1. I am considering replacing the x-1 very shortly and MC-12B as well.

Most single box ssp don't sound good on 2 channels perhaps, the 707 might be the exception.

I will try to audition the 707 if I can find a local dealer.
Ahh...I answered my own quest about what CAST is by visiting the Krell website. Very interesting...but can you really hear any discernable differences? Does anyone other than Krell utilize the CAST protocol? If not, one would necessarily need to mate a Krell preamp with a Krell amp to take advantage of the protocol...

Cool stuff...but beyond my budget threshhold

Cheers!

_Ben
Ben,
CAST technology was developed by Krell and used exclusively by Krell. Krell has an excellent explanation of cast on their website : www,krellonline.com/cast.html

My understanding of CAST: all electronic audio equipment operates in current mode. The electronic current is converted to voltage, transferred by cable to the next piece of equipment where it is transferred back into current, modified as necessary, converted back to voltage, transferred by cable to the speakers. Everytime the signal converts from current to voltage and back to current some distortion/noise can occur. Krell CAST equipment uses an extremely high frequency bandwidth (>2 MHz) and transfers the signal in current not voltage. This eliminates distortion that can occur durring the conversion from current to voltage (and voltage to current). Also, Krell claims that since the signal is transferred along their special CAST cable as current rather than voltage, there is no signal degradation effect produced by the cable. They claim, with CAST, the signal remains unaltered from source to speaker. I believe the Krell amps ending with C (400C, 600C, etc) were the first generation Krell amps to use cast. They have CAST in their high end amps, processors, pre-amps, CD/SACD players. I believe the Krell KCT was the first pre=amp with CAST.
CAST is very interesting, innovative technology. It is a great idea. Does it work? I have never A-B'd to compare. Reviews state that it does make a significant improvement. My guess is that it probably does make an improvement. No one else has CAST, Krell owns it.

The S275 does not have CAST.

I don't know anything about the PS Audio DAC/pre-amp. Do you like it? It probably will be fine with the Krell S275.
The Krell 150 mono blocks probably sound very similar if not identical to the S275. But the S275 will give you more power. The choice probably depends on the speakers you will be driving.

Once you get into the 450MCX, Krell KCT level of equipment, things like cable (Krell CAST cable, etc) become important considerations, also, more expense.

SFSTEREO:
The pre-amp section for stereo music in the Krell Evo 707 is fantastic; far superior to the stand alone Krell KCT pre-amp I owned previosly. If you are able to audition one for music, make sure to go into the menu and sslect pre-amp for the CD player and/or record player. This bi-passes the digital processor. The Krell Evo 707 is an amzing piece of equipment. The sound is extraordinary for home theater and stereo music. I traded my Krell KCT and Lexicon MC12B when I bought the Evo 707. I cannot say enough about the Evo 707, you have to check it out.
Good luck.
Re: the FPB600 load/reliability issues...the Stereophile measurements were simply not indicative of a poorly designed or load intolerant amp....just sayin.....