Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Would a Shelter 501 cartridge be a good match with the Syrah? I'm considering a Nottingham Spacedeck and Space Arm and have seen that cartridge used with that arm. Am I correct in jumping to the conclusion that this arm and cartridge work well together? Thanks for you help.
Jeff
Timchen I have noted your distant but obvious interest in this pre-amp. You have certainly been keeping your eye on this thread. I'm going to give you my complete unbiased opinion based on a few hours of listening to the line stage.

The Sarah is at once dynamic, resolving, smooth, with great bass and just amazing immediacy. This is just an initial impression but will be lasting because it is immediately obvious how special it is, especially at the price point but not only because of that fact. The pre isn't even close to being broken in so these are early impressions compared to a CAT SL-1, older but with good tubes and a few modern upgrades. Yes the CAT is smoother now because it is settled in. But I sure can hear the intrinsic character of the Sarah and I know it is going to improve as it breaks in.

I initially felt the Supratek would have to be mighty good to replace the CAT in a manner that would not have me second guessing if I would make the right decision. The only reason I bought this pre was because of the accolades of experienced audiophiles and the price. After 10 minutes of listening to the Supratek, out of the box, new tubes, not even broken in I'll tell you, it will put a smile on your face, a no brainer, simple decision and validates once again my faith and belief in concensus among my fellow audiophiles.

I expect that some of the users that are selling are doing so for various reasons including finding something better. But I'll tell ya something Tim, if someone can direct me to a full function active pre-amp for anywhere close to 2.5K that has the extraordinary musicality and capability this pre does, I would be interested in hearing about it. Don't think twice Tim, unless you are prepared to spend at least twice as much or more. I truly don't believe you'll find it.
thank you, Tubegroover. this is a very insightful and good
review. you can read my mind? I am looking for a good tube preamp for my symphonic Line poweramp, and dear fellow greg here suggests me that CAT match SL very well, and i just wonder will supratek match with my SL? thank you for your considerate.

Jeff SS, I also have a Spacedeck and just ordered up a Shelter 501. I will be glad to let you know my impressions as soon as I get the cartridge, which will be paired with an Origin Live Silver arm. I am confident it will be a great match.

Good review, Tubegroover. I think that about sums it up. Believe it or not, the Syrah WILL get better as it breaks in, especially once you settle on your particular "flavor" in tubes.

I continue to be amazed and delighted by the difference it has made in my system.
Yes Tim, I would expect the Supratek will match up very well. It has plenty of gain that is also adjustable, very flexible and great fit and finish. At this level of performance both the CAT and Supratek are excellent pre-amps. I don't think you could make a bad choice with either. The differences may be more a matter of price, how much you are willing to pay and taste. The title of this thread is most appropriate.