Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
There has been some comments questioning the ability of a balanced SET configuration. I have one by Mick and this is how he refers to his implementation.

"Of course, strictly speaking, when you use the balanced outputs, it isn't SE, but it is the purest form of balancing you can get- it's often called SEPP (Single Ended Push Pull) although the use of the term push pull isn't
quite correct."
Tubegroover, do not overlook the regulator tubes.

Yes, the Ken Rad VT231's and 52 Syl's are great, but NOS regulator tubes made more of a difference in the sound than the NOS 6SN7's in my Supratek.

There are a couple of others here who tried some NOS regulators based on my experienced and they were floored at the difference.
Well guys, I have paired my Syrah with a Berning ZH270 amp and I have to tell you that this is a match made in heaven. I have had the Berning for about a month now and I absolutely hate to turn my system off! The Berning gives you the option of running your CD player straight through the amp, but bypassing the Syrah is a BIG mistake. The Syrah adds more resolution and low level detail to the music. The Berning has such a low noise floor that details that I had been missing in the music are now extremely clear. What I really like about this combo is that NONE of the dynamics or details are lost at low listening levels. Both micro and macro dynamics are incredible! Soundstage width and depth is huge also. I had my doubts as to wheather 70wpc would give my Gallo reference speakers enough power, but that has not been a problem at all. I can't recommend this amp highly enough to owners of Supratek preamps. I am taking the amp over to a friends house soon and we are going to hook it up to his SoundLab M1 speakers. This is a true David and Goliath situation, but I am told the Berning sounds great with the Sound Labs. I will let you know how this combo sounds. Oh, get this, the Berning amp weighs only 10lbs. That's right, 10lbs. It also has 3 feedback positions to match to your speakers for proper damping of the woofers. David Berning is a true design genius, right up there with Mick Maloney!
Slowhand you must try NOS tubes with the Berning along with the cryoed 6jn6 outputs along with the custom ERS mods through Allan Baghan. If you are just listening to a stock unit, you ain't heard nothing yet! The Berning is very tweekable and its performance can be much improved. Its level of clarity is definitely top shelf.

For the 12AT7's I have tried the Brimars, Tung Sols and just installed Amperex Bugle Boy's French made and have a set of Telefunken's, not diamond plate. I really like the Tung Sols, more air, bloom and richness. The Brimars have the detail but are not quite as "musical" to my ears. The Amperex Bugle Boys I really need to listen to more and the Telefunkens are waiting in the wings.

The dynamics of the music with this combo is at times uncanny, like a horn system on some music. I've never heard the Merlin's come so alive. The presence on a great recording can make you almost believe you are there. This pre-amp is something quite special on an absolute level. It is hard to believe that this level of performance can be realized at the price. What a deal!

As an aside, my wife, who is not an audiophile spent 1 hour glued to the seat listening the 2nd night I had this pre. This is a first folks and we've been married 15 years and I've been into the "hi-end" hobby before we met. She is amazed at the naturalness of the music. I suppose that is the best adjective to describe the Supratek, It just gets you closer to the performance, the subtle things that make music come alive. Words can't describe it, only listening will. It makes you realize that in designing components there is definitely a large element of art otherwise more components would sound this "right".

While I think the phono stage is excellent and it is what everyone says, I am utterly amazed at the line stage.
Tubegroover, I actually have the cryoed output NOS tubes and Brimmer 12at7's. They came with the amp when I bought it. I have been so blown away by the sound of the amp with the stock tubes that I am holding off on installing the NOS until later. What differences in sound did you notice from the ERS kit? On the subject of the Supratek, I agree with you, I love the phono stage of the Syrah, but am very surprised at just how good the line stage is. As much as I love vinyl and the sound of it, I will never be without a CD player. There is just too much great Jazz fusion music that I am discovering that cannot be had on vinyl. I will get around to installing the NOS tubes in the Berning later on. It gives me something to look forward to. I am told that GE 5865 5 star tubes are great in place of the stock 12au7's. Do you know where I can get any? I am in the process of buying some Mullard 6GK5's for my Syrah now. I would like to get some WE417's for the phono if I can find them.