Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Hi Outlier, Personal preference and system synergy are mostly what dictate which tubes are best for YOU (and YOUR system).

As for the wind noise... Preamps usually require the highest quality tubes. I have found that mabye 1 in 10 Ken Rads work well in my preamp. The others have that "wind noise" or tube rush or squeek or whatever. Some advice... when you buy tubes from dealers, find out if you can return the tubes if they don't work in your application. Many dealers will give you a refund or find you a better pair.

It took me lots of time and effort to get a stash of mint - sweet and noise free Ken Rad Black glass 6SN7's but for MY system it was worth it.

Also you might check an earlier post I made regarding the three varieties of Black Glass Ken Rads. Each has a similar yet unique signature. If you like Sylvania's in your system, then you would be best off with the NAVY labled Ken Rads Black Glass tubes -- they must say NAVY and not be just any old VT-231. The NAVY's are more extended and open in the highs when compared to standard VT-231's and of course the much "darker" sounding standard 6SN7 (not marked VT-231).

I've gone through many of these tubes and while there are sonic variations between similarly marked tubes, those differences are subtle when compared to the differences between the NAVY, VT-231 and standard 6SN7.
Hi Bwhite, many thanks for the input. Sounds like good advice. I'll see can I return the tubes to the dealer I got them from. It's a pity it's so hit-or-miss with these tubes. 1 in 10 sounds like such bad odds ;-) Cheers,
Outlier
Well guys, I have had the Mullard 6GK5's in my phono stage of the Syrah for a few days now and the results are more life and dynamics, along with a deeper soundstage. When a crash cymbal is hit it still has the power it had before, but now it is far behind the singer, as it should be. On another note, my Berning ZH270 amp just keeps getting better. I am in the process of a couple of uprgades, but how it can get any better I don't know.
OK I'm interested. I simply have a mental problem buying gear that I cannot audition. So are there any owners of the Cortese (or its linestage equivalent) in the New England area (preferably southeastern as I live in Rhode Island)? To date I have been most impressed with Art Audio's (Gill Audio Design) Alana tube linestage but nobody seems to have heard of this piece.
Mick's new website is up! Check out the latest eye candy:
http://www.supratek.biz

Also, alongside the new Supratek stuff, for those on the vinyl upgrade path, check out Teres Audio's new Teres 340 rig. Holy cow, just when I thought my upgrades were over for a while. I guess it never ends..
www.teresaudio.com

Cheers,
Outlier