Bass and Treble Dials

It seems every high end audiophile quality preamp/amp comes with no bass/treble dials. There is no way to adjust the sound coming out of the system other than by adding, removing or replace the audio equipment components... such as the needles, tubes, cables and etc etc. I wonder what would be a real reason behind of not having the treble/bass dials? While it might be a simple question but I really don't know the exact answer. I only guess that it is because the adding the treble/bass dials will unavoidably make an electronic circuit more "complex" which would go against a whole concept: "the simpler the better" or "the less is more". Am I correct in my assumptions?
sputniks
The less in the signal path the purer the sound.I play some of my low gain cds with my passive linestage removed so that the cdp goes into my 300b set amps direct.
The system sounds incredible and open this way.A warning however as this can be very dangerous and not all systems can handle it,so I recommend trying this only with extreme caution.

Regards,
Today's technology permits more precise specific corrections than yesteryear's crude "Bass and Treble Dials".
Timlub,

Capacitors used in analog tone controls have tolerance of few percent producing different phase shifts between channels. Same goes for limited track to track matching of the tone potentiometer. Capacitors, in addition, have dielectric absorption - introducing distortion. Good caps can be very expensive. Cheap Mylar cap is often the reason for the tweeter glare in many low cost speakers.

Unsound,
Yes, accurate filtering is possible in DSP processing, but signal has to be digitized to start with and then converted back to analog again (two conversions). In addition it doesn't solve many problems. For instance some of my Jazz CDs have acoustic bass coming a little strong (nature of the recording). How can I reduce it (or should I?) without changing sound of lower piano registers. On the other side of the frequency spectrum - how can I make cymbals to sound stronger without changing timbre of voice or not making violins "screechy". Harmonic structure of many instruments is incredibly complex and I don't want to touch it. Less is more.
It doesn't necessarily need to be converted to analog, therefore it's possible not to introduce any new conversions, except for pulse conversion. Perhaps such equalization is best left to room correction, rather than re-engineering existing recordings? Future technologies might be able to identify and correct for individual instruments, but I have no idea when that might happen, if it happens at all.
Hi Kijanki,
I have in my home electrolytics, poly carbs, poly props(metalized and pure film), paper in oil, poly styrene and teflons. I have played a bunch. I measure everyone to less than 1% tolerance. I don't have any mylars and generally agree about the sound of those, but I must say, I have had a russian set of mylars that were outstanding, so who's to say. Ok, only a few pio, ps & teflon.
I stand by my comment, really only an opinion that a good tone control circuit (eq) could be built with very good end results. More bands for flexibility would be nice.
More to discover