Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
WalterSalas...And a Merry Christmas to you.Walter I was being alittle factitious with my comment about beleiving all these strangers...How would you possibly know?.On a lighter note...Thank you for pointing out that you and others have also abandoned your discernment over choosing a supratek product...I was scared and up set for alittle while thinking that i was the only one...You cant beat word of mouth advertising like this...Mick...you...me... we all benifit

Khrys,

I should know better than to continue down this path with you, but since you seem intent on doing whatever you can to cause trouble and thumb your nose at us, I must respond to your implication that the Supratek deal wouldn't be quite so sweet if an owner finds it necessary to send the unit back to Australia for servicing. As it happens, I had to do just that with my Syrah, due to some noise in one channel, the cause of which Mick and I could not pinpoint after several email exchanges. So I boxed her up and sent it back to Mick. In less than three weeks (including the time it took to ship there and back), it was back in my system, good as (no, better than) new. Mick responded to my initial emails immediately, and took a lot of time trying to solve the problem so that shipping the pre back would not be necessary. When that didn't work, he split the cost of shipping with me and fixed the amp the first day it arrived in his shop, stopping work on new units to attend to mine right away. He then kept it for a couple of days to make sure it was functioning properly, and kicked in a free upgrade to the most current specs (I had had the Syrah for a year before the noise began, and it only occurred in the phono stage). In short, I got an upgrade for half the cost of shipping. I believe Mick now has someone in the states who can work on the units, should that be necessary. I would rate his customer service as second to none.

I find it ironic that you would disparage those of us who bought the Supratek gear largely based on Internet testimonials of other audiophiles (some of whom may even have a frame of reference to rival your own!). Just to be clear--we have all actually HEARD the Supratek, and you haven't, right? Given that, your level of "discernment" on this particular subject is astonishing indeed.

So let me get this straight. Someone is trying to tell Supratek owners that since we choose to tube roll in preamps that we purchased that our preamps cannot be the "preamp deal of the century" just because they all sound a little different. Let me assure everone that my Sauvignon is much better than the "preamp deal of the century" it is MY PREAMP and I don't give a care what anyone, especially someone who has never heard a Supratek, thinks about it.

Likewise, we all listen to our Suprateks with different ears, in different rooms, with different systems, and different music. None of which invalidates our personal preferences and experiences. Hi-End audio isn't about group-think, its about personal indulgence in musical reproduction. Now philosophize about that.
Waltersalas

I had the same noise problem on the phono a few months ago. I sent the Syrah back to Mick and his also fixed the problem and returned the unit to me within a few days. What can you complain with his service level? Did you pay any import tax? I declared a value of US$1,000 and end up paying $95 for the tax. I am still trying to claim it back.
I too have experienced exceptional customer service and support from Mick. He bends over backwards to help customers with repair issues if/when they arise & cannot be resolved locally. In the event of such a need, Mick never hesitates to make the financial burden fair for both parties.