Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Slowhand, I have contacted Allan Hagan trying to audition a ZH-270 in Chicago. I also contacted David Berning who said that he currently has a 3 month waiting list. I guess I could buy my second system components now while waiting for Mick and Berning to build the components. Interestingly enough there is a zh-270 prototype at auction on this website. I don't know if I am brave enough to go for that unless it goes really cheap. That would be an interesting second system amplifier! Thanks for all the support. This thread has made audio fun again.
I hate to bust in the middle of this thread but it’s been such a joy and education reading it and I think you guys might be able to help me out here. I’m looking for a new pre and really like what I’ve been hearing about Supratek.

Here is my story longwinded though it may be. Hopefully some of you all will be able to provide some guidance. I recently sold my Sun Audio SVC 1000 preamp with an eye toward replacing it with something that had a better accommodation for HT and a remote. (I had a seriously convoluted set-up to run surround through my main system but it was so graceless that I couldn’t stand it any more.) My amps have volume pots on them so my Cary 303 was still useable. After some searching around I decided that I would go the Wadia direct route for starters and see how that went. Let me say that the Wadia 301 blew away the Cary with no effort right out of the box. I have never witnessed such a dramatic improvement - ever. (Shows you what a newbie I am). So now I’m thinking the hell with a preamp, who needs it, this is awesome I got a remote and the best sound I’ve every heard coming from my system. But and there is always a but, by now my wife is screaming that she wants her surround sound back, and I’m thinking I may add a vinly source at some point. But I don’t want to sacrifice the my new found wonder and enjoyment of the Wadia, (Since I’ve got 100’s of CD’s and only 10’s of vinly), so to finally get to the point, I have some questions perhaps you Supratek owners/listeners can help with. Will I lose the air, definition, detail and involvement that I’ve come to love? Have the remote and HT pass through issues been worked out on the Supertek's? Has anyone done any comparisons of the Supratek Syrah and Sonic Frontiers Line 2 or 3 or the BAT 30 or 50’s? I’m currently running the Wadia 301 directly to Sun Audio SV2A3-PE push-pull mono’s with Cabasse Farella 401’s. I would really be grateful for any guidance/insight you could provide.

Thanks
Baranyi,

Not sure if I would go with that prototype unless you could get it cheap. If It were me I would place may order with Mick for the Supratek and probably order the Berning. Once in a great while a Berning shows up for sale, but if you want the latest version, I would order it new. Just my opinion.
Tubegroover: The Supratek Merlot is no ordinary S.E.T amp. It has all the valve virtues of harmonic sweetness and musicality, but it is also super clean and detailed with the most solid bass I have heard, and for a given volume level, beats a Krell KSA100 that I owned.

Besides Mick's unique circuit topology, the Merlot uses the Russian 6C33-CB output tube which has a crystal clear pristine (cut-glass) character. It is no accident that Lamm Industries and BAT also use this valve in their top-of-the-line power amps.

The Berning would appear to be a ground breaker by all accounts, and I would love to hear it one day. Although, that would be a rare circumctance in my neck of the woods (being Perth - Western Australia).

Regards,

Steve M.
Ahhh the 6c33 tube, Joule and Tenor also use that tube, very nice. I would love to hear the amp, you've got me very curious Steve, maybe Mick can send me a pair for evaluation? :)

If its cut from the same cloth as the pre-amps it must be quite special.