Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Slipnot
There are several posts with regards to tube complements for the Syrah & Cortese pre's.
Scroll back 2-6 months and look for posts from Ecclectique, Jazzdude, Bwhite, Asa, and Tubegroover. The subject has been extremely well covered by this intelligent, experienced, and articulate group.
I read all of their posts more than once and followed their lead. There was a bit of trial and error but they saved me a ton of time and money. I was much better for the bit of struggle and it has all worked out beautifully on my system.
Cello,

I know what you mean, but nobody has covered the 6c45pi-e, period. I read EVERY post on this thread several times. There seems to have been a tube-rolling thread, but it's disappeared. Until Slowhand let me know about possible alternatives, I was shooting in the dark. I guess that's half the fun of having a custom built preamp. Even Mick told me there was no alternatives to the Russian tube!

That's why we gotta keep asking.
Hi Jphii,

I have been told that the Amperex Gold Pin 5842 sounds good it the phono section, and also the RCA 5842. Some people swear by the WE417a, but others say it is overhyped. Guess you just have to try them for yourself. I will be very interested in your phono tube impressions. Be sure to post your results.
As soon as I can find some tubes at a reasonable price, they are going in! I'll start searching over the weekend.