Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Ecclectique,
You have said that Cary 805c and Supartek are "is a marriage made in heaven". But there is one problem for me, Cary is only 50W, and in the future I'm going to have big room (>400sq feet) and I like listen to big orchestras on decent level. My speakers are power hungry inefficient Thiels 3.6. I'm afraid that even strong tube watts in amount of 50 will not suffice. And I have heard Manley a few times I only so far have liked better them Manley expensive behind my reach electronics (like VAC or LAMM). And it is 250W at the some price, yes I know it is not SET but some people claims that for big music SET is not the best choice ...
What do you think ?
Ecclectique,

Thanks for the advice and the compliment. Yep! it seems that the GE's that I have are the crappy ones.

I will look for the 6n23ev tubes. Hopefully I can experience their sonic character on the Supratek.

Yes, I agree that the Mullard 8080 is a cut above the other 6c4's I tried. Although my experience is that they have to be run for sometime before they show their true colors. At first when I got them, my impression was that they are quiet but the sonics are about average. After sometime (50 hours or so)playing music with them, they finally arrived! Piano and horns becomes full and with just the right extension, at least for me.

Thanks again!
Sorlowski.A tall order indeed,although that pairing would definately not make good match with your thiels. I would seek out a high powered ss amp with big current delivery, preferrably on the warmish side of the fence. The big VTL's or perhaps a few other high powered tube amps may possibly be up to the task however, One should always try them first to be certain. best of luck.
Sorlowski, I have a friend that owns a pair of Parasound JC-1's. They are very powerful (400 wpc) and have tons of current. He is using them with Soundlab M1's and they sound great (very close to the sound of tubes). They would have no problem running your Thiels.
Hello,

I just won an auction for a Sylvania Gold Brand gold pins 6c4 (GB6135). I used to have a pair of this tube but misplaced them when I moved. From what I can remember, they sound great in the Supratek phono section as well. I will compare it to the Mullard M8080 and report back.

Happy Holidays!