VTL ST-150 vs... ?

Hi all, I'm currently evaluating amps and so far the one I am "settling" on is the VTL ST-150. It has a big expressive sound with great, rich texture and natural timbre, but everything has faults and for me the VTL could use some more focused imaging and is a bit dark sounding. Plus, I would prefer solid state to avoid the heat and maintenance of tubes (class AB over class A would be great).

So, people who have owned or have experience with this amp, what have you moved onto or chosen over it in a similar price range ($1.5k - $2.5k used) and why?

Associated gear:
Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor
Placette Passive Linestage
MHDT Havana DAC
eugene81
In your price range and excellent contender would be the Wyred 4 Sound ST-500 or STI-500 (Integrated with remote control). That's the amp I'm using after trying many amps including the Cary Audio CAD 120S tube amplifier.

Good luck in your search.
I have a VTL ST-150, and if you find it dark and want something solid state, I'd suggest looking at the Cambridge Audio Azur 840W, which is right in your range - About $2400 new and $1500 used. An excellent solid state amp, with good bass definition and detail. But, it does run hot, so if that's a major consideration, it might not be a good choice for you.

If you generally like the tube "sound" but want solid state convenience you could also consider the conrad johnson MF-2500, which runs cooler and, used, is right in the middle of your price range.
Class D is not high on the list right now. Maybe I'll give W4S a shot sometime down the line.

Rdavwhitaker, I am starting to face the reality that I probably am a "tube guy" -- I like the VTL a lot, as well as my Almarro A205A MkII, and haven't found a reasonably priced SS amp that can produce that kind of organic tonality and richness. It's just that if I have to nitpick, which we all do, the VTL is colored a shade dark. The 2500A is an interesting prospect. Have you owned or at least spent some time with this amp? How does it compare to the ST-150?
My ST150 replaced a McIntosh mc352... The VTL was better in every way, not to mention the money I made/saved selling the Mac. I eventually moved onto the VTL mono 100's since I prefer the el34 sound over the 6550.