Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Hi Ywlee,
thanks for that pretty full description.
My feeling is to try the EH, more for peace of mind
over reliability matters than out & out sound.
I like most of the RCA, CBS & Sylvanias more than the tubes
I'm presently using.
Probably get shot down in flames but I find far bigger differences can be had with power cords than tubes on 'my' pre in 'my' system.
The Harmonix Studio Master is a revelation on my Syrah - how I'm not sure - take it out & replace with all manner of Shunyatas, Electraglides, PS Audio, Z-Squared etc, etc and they just don't sound as 'right'.
Shunyata - 2 organic - Electraglide - smeared ad finitum.
The Harmonix allows the Syrah to differentiate layers of depth, harmonics, hall ambience and macro dynamics that none of the other power cords seem to allow it to show.
Seriously thinking about taking out the rear gain control, doing away with the remote and fitting a better volume control and some 100 ohm resistors directly on the phono inputs - or rather having my mate who knows all this stuff inside out to do these mods for me.
Strange days indeed for someone who till recently could not live without at least a remote volume!
OK - I own up, my new rooms so small, I can just reach over and crank it up, it will have to be retro refits if I ever have to move my ass of the couch again to reach it.
Si :-)
Hi Fiddler,
tried the Mini Khan Plus & the Ultra Khan rev2.
The Mini Khan beats all on my cd player but neither comes close to the Harmonix on the Syrah (imo)
Not happy with no grounds however,may be ok with 120V but a bit dangerous with the voltage here in the UK so I wouldn't contemplate any of their more expensive cords.
Also tried Shunyata Taipan Alpha and King Cobra V2.
A pair of Python Alphas enroute but doubt the Harmonix will
be dethroned at least on the Syrah !
Cheers Simon
Hi Simon,

Just want to share my experience of power cord as well. Power cords make a big difference in sound, that's certain, and I had been through that game before. I must say I had spent more than a little fortune in experimenting with power cords and interconnects. I had been a Shunyta fan for sometime and I still own a original Hydra which is corian made and gorgeous looking. I had used two king cobra 2, 2 vipers, and 1 taipan at one time. Finally, at least in my system, I found them excellent in most aspects especially ambience and high frequency performance. It is as silky as you can imagine. But there is a severe drawback with them in my system, that is sound without a backbone. They softens the transient and attack such that a piano never sound right. I had tried PS audio, various NBS (including monitor 0), siltech, VDH, Taralabs, MIT and some others. Finally, I found that I likely most the raw sound with big gauge solid core copper power cord which preserves the transient and harmonics with the least addition or subtraction effect. I am using some cheap Acrotec 4050 (50amp) power cords through out my system, taking from a set of Exactpower EP15A + SP15A balance transformer system. I had use the Harmonix studio master also, long before the Supratek time. My humble impression is that it has an elegant sound, plus a golden colour on top. Its bottom is very clean and tight, its high beautiful but inadequately extended. It is not as transparent as I prefer (personal taste again, and system dependent, of course).

Lee
Hi Gang,

I just recieved my new Cortese yesterday. This thing is beautiful! A true work of art. I got the Sheoak with black top and gold knobs. The black top really shows off the Sheoak wood. It has a beautiful "lace" look to it. The pictures on Mick's website don't do it justice at all. I will be installing the tubes tonight. I took the bottom off and no wonder it is so heavy! Mick put the Mundorf Supreme caps in for me. He said they will take a long time to break in.

Here is my question for anyone that recently recieved a new Cortese. There is a toggle switch on the front right side which I assume is the play/HT bypass. Another toggle between the 2 towers. I think this is the stereo/mono switch. What has me stumped are the 2 toggle switches to the outside of the 6sn7 tube sockets. I have no idea what these are for or what position they should be in. Can anyone help me? I have an e-mail in to Mick. He forgot to send me and instrucion sheet. I will keep everyone informed as to the sound. My computer bit the dust, so I am just catching up on the thread. I know how you feel David.