Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Hello JT, congratulations on your new Cabernet. I just got my Cab this past December. Trust me, as happy as you are now with the fabulous fit, finish and sound, you won't believe what will happen in a couple or weeks or so. You will be enjoying your music and then the unit warms up and breaks in and you will be taken to audio heaven. It is that dramatic! I have been through a wonderful evolution of great gear, old Mcintosh, new Mcintosh, Conrad Johnson, Lamm and others, but this is the best "ride" I have ever owned! I was a "newbie" at tube rolling, a little intimidated but I am now getting into that and the doors keep opening up. So enjoy and keep this thread going. It is the grand thread on the site. If you like, I will share my novice experience at the tubes I am slowly, and this I recommend, getting into, and I am sure this will inspire more thoughts and opinions.
Hi Gang,

I have been away for a while but come back to read the threads every now and then. Congratulations to Jtgosifh for your new toy! Does your Cabernet has any microphonic issue? I am asking this as mine is too sensitive - it picks up my voice if I speak a little bit louder in my listening room if there is no disc is spinning. During loud passage that ended abrutly, I still could hear the the sound being "sustained" through microphonic effect. I have tried tube rings, isolation pad, and everything that you can imagine but in vain. Not that I do not enjoy the music coming out from this pre-amp but the microphonic issue keeps bothering me. Other than that this is a fabulous pre-amp.

Kenji
Hello all , I have a Cortese 3-4 years old and need a pair of tungsol pearl 12B4A cryo-vac tubes. Anyone know where I can get a pair ?
Does this tube have a large impact on the sound ?
Is there a better or more common tube to get ?

Thank you for the help

Abill
I get some microphonics if I tap on the chasis but this settles down quickly and certainly does not intrude on the music.My speakers are 98db sensitivity so show up problems like this.I used to have a Lux power amp that had bad microphonics.I sold this and later discovered my power supply was running up to 266 volts when it was meant to be 240 volts-this may have been a cause.It might pay to get your power supply checked.I had mine lowered at the transformer.Also stevem60 has a type of 300b which he reckons has very low microphonics.I'll ask him to post info on this.
What 300b valves do you find sound best in the Cabernet?I have tried the TJ meshplate which sounds nice tonally but I think the EH has much more precise imaging and tighter bass.I remember comparing the EH and the Western Electric and I prefered the EH!.
Does tube rolling just involve dunking the tubes in liquid nitrogen or does it have to be done when the moon is right and with the tube in a special cow horn- bio dynamic style?I have access to liquid nitrogen.

JT
I have a pair, cyoyed even, brand new. Shoot me an e mail with your info and you can have them. I moved up to the Cabernet, so I don't have any need for them