Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Hi Houstonreef,

don't change the top plate mounted gain switches with the volume turned up !
However if you just turn the volume down, you can switch thru the rear gain knobs positions and just listen for the best setting. From reading on here, most people prefer the gain set high. I find lowering the gain can make my system sound more relaxed, other people reckon it looses dynamics.
Very much listen and set it to what suits you & your system the best.
The beauty of this range of adjustment is , that as Mick says, it should allow to you find the sweet spot that matches your power amps/speakers.
It was in an e-mail with Mick in Dec. 2004 that he said he was working on a DAC. He was getting so many orders for preamps that he said he would have to put it on the back burner. I hope he makes it a reality.
slowhand:

i remember mick discussing a DAC as well. he was considering selling it for $500 for basic casing and upwards of $600 in a preamp-matching wood (piano black)/chrome casing from what i recall. i was going to wait on it, but found a great deal on the 47 labs setup i'm currently using.