Character of EL-84 amps

I did a lot of auditioning of ProAc speakers at Arizona Hifi...super excellent guys. I listened for the first two visits to a Leben EL-84 integrated, with around 20 wpc. It sounded lovely. Maybe the nicest amp I have ever heard. On the third visit I switched mid visit to the big Leben and pre, with 6550s. A much different sound. But, I keep thinking back, and think that I really liked the EL-84 sound. It seemed lighter, airier, less thick and heavy. More pleasant and easier to listen to. At the time I thought it possibly a bit thin. Now I think maybe I want that sound.

I have not heard other EL-84 amps. There is the RM-10. Manley makes one with 4 EL-84s per side. I have a Scott integrated I never liked, but maybe I can mod it.

Is it generally true of EL-84 amps that they are lighter and airier, more delicate, in sound than EL-34/6550/6L6 etc amps? Or should I not assume what is true with Leben is true with all EL-84 amps?

Thanks,
Jim
river251
Viridian, I think you told me about the Acrosound once before when I posted a question about neutral (non-fat) tube amps. I'll keep an eye out.

I have been leaning toward an RM-9 but maybe the RM-10 is worth considering too.

Clio99 have you heard any other EL84 amps?
The Snapper is out of my budget but it also uses more ouput tubes than the others... I do push my 8B to the limit with my ProAc One SCs in my small room. Bad ears I guess but I always listened to music very loud.

Good to know about the Gold Lions HifiHarv. Yes that's not why I am thinking about the tubes but the prices are attractive.

Have any of you head the smaller Leben integrated ($3500) with EL84s? It sounded shimmering and delicate, with so much more going on with the cymbals and space, than the larger integrated ($7k) or the 6550 amp and preamp ($17k).

Thanks everyone.
JohnnyR, if you are a Music Reference dealer, I would like to talk to you offline, if that's allowed. jkk251
at gmail
dot com
guess I'll find out. shame we can't pm.

Jim
Al, I had a friend, many moons ago, that had the Pilot 232. I am not comfortable commenting except to say that it drove his Valencias with authority and clarity. Unlike the Dyna ST-35 or the little Heaths, it was one of the great EL84 amps. I would love to have one in house to really have a proper listen, or even to restore.

River, my taste runs to the RM-10 over the RM-9, though YMMV! And, of course, the RM-9 is the more universal amp based solely on output power.
I believe Dennis Had, formally of Cary, is rebuilding old EL 84s such as Pilot and Magnavox and selling them on EBay. They look great and reviews seem extremely positive. Ever since I got my RM10 many years ago from JohnnyR I've Ben smitten by the EL 84. The Leben has wonderful tone. When one pops up used I'll be in the hunt. Second Viridian, the 7189 tube is fabulous.
Mikirob, I have seen those and emailed with Dennis a little. He had a 6L6 SE but I was worried about the low watts. I'm sure his Magnavox EL84 rebuilds are great.

Viridian the RM-10 puts out the same power as the 8B so I'd be OK unless I get a bigger house. It's the only one that does that with 4 EL84s I know of.

Jim
River251,

In addition to the RM-10 I have heard the Snapper and Leben. The Leben was quite nice, the Snapper okay, but something about the RM-10 just clicked for me. Not to mention a used RM-10 MkII at around $1000 is a lot of amp for the money IMO.

The 6moons review includes some interesting comments from Roger Modjeski on the design. Also, I think you can go to the Music Reference site and read the manual and design philosophy. The manual is one of the best audio reads there is IMO.