Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Anyone knows the output impedance of the Chardonnay?
Will the Chardonnay go well with a SS amp such as Clayton M-100, Pass Labs X250.5 or McCormack 225? Speakers are Hyperion 938 (90 dB; 6 ohms, 3.8 ohms min).
Better yet, ask him what he used to voice out the phono section of the kind of preamp you have.

FWIW, in the design of a phono section, that phono section is not 'voiced' although that is a common misconception. If the design is competent, the RIAA curve will be set up to be as close to the theoretical curve as possible, regardless of the actual cartridges.
Hi Tvad,

If you go with another cartridge, I would get a ZYX .24mv cartridge. I believe they make .24mv in all of their cartridges. I have the Yatra and it is a beautiful match to the Cortese. I do have the gain controls and I have them set to high gain. On low gain the music loses dynamics. Did I see where you are going to the RMAF? If so, talk to Merhan in the Sorasound room. ZYX makes cartridges in every price range, so I sure you can find one that fits your budget. I used to own a Benz Glider and a Dynavector 20XL. The ZYX Yartra is in a whole other class. Just a thought.
Thanks, Slowhand. My concern is chasing a cartridge to match the Cortese, and spending more along the way. I am also considering the option of purchasing another Wright WP200C (mistake to have sold my other one!). The WP200C offers gain controls and frees me to use more cartridges.

As I say, I'm weighing all options at this point, and I do appreciate your suggestion.

I will not be attending RMAF.
FWIW, in the design of a phono section, that phono section is not 'voiced' although that is a common misconception. If the design is competent, the RIAA curve will be set up to be as close to the theoretical curve as possible, regardless of the actual cartridges.

FWIW "voice out" in this case is not the same as for speakers.

Chill out! You are taking things too literally!