Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Thank You for the kind words Kgturner.
The phenomena of the this tread as well as the number of
people participating and being part of "THE SUPRATEK CLUB"
can't be explain until one experience Michael's (Mick) products first hand.

On the matter of tube choices and its effect on the sound, I am also curies. As much as I would like to share my personal experience with the rest of "S" users - I can't because of my very limited time with the unit. As far as the tubes that came with my preamp, all I can say is that I can not find any shortcomings of that combo. Of course, it is too early for any meaningful evaluation or comparison. What I have noticed is that tubes chosen by a privies owner (NOS Tung Sol-round plate) are very sensitive/microphonic and a use of a tube rings is a must.
Other then that, they are wonderful.

I would also like to ask:
about the preferred way to address vibration control, unit placement (and power supply). I know I am going nuts with all this questions.......one more, power cables/ interconnects - make difference with Supratek or no.
Mrjstart, Heres one testimonial of Micks phonostage and preamp you should read through.

Slipknot,ARS Musica

Joe's Chenin has kept up with his new system.
I find it truly remarkable.
I'm sure if there was any hint of a problem with his Chenin in this incredible system,
Joe would of dumped it long ago.

Regarding changing vacuum tubes in your preamp to vintage select brands.
I believe the older models of Micks amps and pres responded favorably to rolling tubes.Ask the man himself.

If you have the money to spend on Western Electric 350Bs,Philips MininWatt metal base EL-34s,Philips MiniWatt metal base GZ-34,Tungsol round plate 6sn7s and early CCas.

Your in for a huge cash outlay.

Money better spent elsewhere in your system like a set of Symposium roller blocks under your c.d. player.
You will know when you found the sweet spot under your player using these.The results are incredible.

Silent Running Audio make equiptment platforms that will make a HUGE difference under your front end and other components.

Slowhand highly recomends these platforms.I have since heard the results in a friends system.
Nothing sutle about them at all.

My first S.R.A. platform will be used under a new turntable purchase.

Finite-Elemente equiptment stands and feet.
Another company FOR SURE worth looking into.
I use the Cerabase as feet under my maple equiptment stands and cerapucs under my Nordost Thor.
No dought about it,they work.

A V-Cap. upgrade to your preamp.

Pay attention to wires throughout your system,keep with the same brand.That means a.c. cords through to speaker wire.

Over the years Roy Gregory editor of Hi-Fi+ magazine strongly recommends adhering to this.

I put to practice what Roy been saying all these years from the a.c. recepticals through to my speakers including my tonearm.
My new tonearm and table will be rewired.

For those that spin vinyl.
Lloyd Walkers enzyme base Prelude record cleaning solution is truly remarkable and is everything he says it will do.
Over 25 years of using various brands of record cleaning solutions this is many times more effective.

I kid you not ,A cleaned record with this stuff is like a component upgrade.

Also check out WalkerAudio.com
Click on Fine Tuning your turntable.

Borrow to try first in your system if you can.
The type 3 Symposium roller blocks have shocking good results under a c.d. player.

Most of what I suggested would cost far less with FAR greater sonic results then filling up your preamp with select vintage vacuum tubes....Have fun
Hi Guys,

I just want to wish all of you in the "Supratek Club" a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! I continue to be amazed at the life this thread has. I am proud to call each and every one of you my friends. And thanks also to the veterans of this thread for your kindness in helping the "new" guys with answers to their questions.

Tom
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you Tom!

May you find much joy and happiness in the true meaning of Christmas during this holiday season and in the year to come.

Aloha,

Warren