can a new amp amp tame my speakers?

Just spent some time listening to what I've been planning to upgrade to for main speakers. PSB Synchronys. The Imagine T2's are close, but slightly veiled in comparison. My current, but old, Infinity Kappa 7's really don't give much away to the PSB's. My amp is an old Yamaha MX2, 125wpc, and I've heard them described as bright or harsh, and that's the only complaint I really have with the sound now. Can a well-chosen amp tame the highs on the Kappa'a, which use a ribbon-style tweeter? Or is the 'taming' I seek only going to happen with a speaker upgrade. I honestly don't mind upgrading the speakers, and fully expected to, but after today's auditioning, I'm wondering if I'm going to get that much benefit from that level of investment. $3500+ is a healthy chunk of coin for benefits of slimmer profile and tamed highs. In terms of imaging, weight, and bass, the Kappa's are equal, imo. The system is also the theater, but the avr can power the surrounds, so an amp upgrade could be 2 channel. A power boost is a must too, as the current 125wpc isn't enough for when wifey's not home and the volume gets wound up ;)
english210
A used Butler 2250 would sound good with the Infinity's, I would think. Lots of power and smooth top end.
Found some reviews on that, and it does seem like a nice match. A little pricier than I was planning on, but not totally out of the question used, there's a couple here used for $1750/1800. The Odyssey is still leading the way though...we'll see...
Thanks again
Just a thought:
http://app.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-conrad-johnson-evolution-2000-2013-02-12-amplifiers-19464
Oh Boy, more choices :) - at least that is a loal pickup in PA, so no real temptation there. I know nothing about tube amps, or the maintainance involved, whereas the Butler supposedly gets around the maintenance issue by not driving the tubes to the max...

It seems tubes would smooth out the highs, though, is that the consensus? I'm wondering how much of the objectionable highs I have is from the amp running out of juice. Does that make the speakers sound that bad, and therefore, a 'real' amp with 'real' current would eliminate the problem? Or is it a speaker issue that just comes on at high volumes, and needs an amp that's softer in the highs to reign in a problem inherent to the speaker. As I've said, I have no objections to the sound at low-mid volumes, just when I'm cranking it up. Perhaps the ribbons in the Emit tweeter are heating up due to the amp running out of power, and that's why they sound bad, or will they do that at high volumes even with more (enough?) power?

My thinking is, if the speakers are inherently flawed in that area, and even a 'good' amp doesn't fix the issue, then the speakers needed replacing anyway, and anything I get would need a better amp than I have now. So a good amp now (first) isn't a waste. If getting an amp does fix the problem, then I've saved a significant outlay on new speakers. Klaus at Odyssey swears up and down I'll be blown away by what my speakers sound like with his amp, even though the wpc rating is about what I have now...

I suppose I'm not really looking for a amp that's 'softer' in the highs to counteract the speakers, but rather hoping that the objectionable highs I have now are because of the amp I have now, and therefore a better amp will eliminate the problem. I don't want to correct a speaker problem with an amp, but correct an amp problem with an amp.
I haven't actually heard the combination, in fact I'm not sure that the Kappa's I heard so long ago where the same as yours.
I do seem to remember that back in the day the Infinity IRS' (along with the Wilson Wamms) were the top of the line, most expensive speakers going. I could be wrong, but I think those IRS' might have used something like the emits that are on your Kappas. This is a long time ago, but I seem to remember that tubes were the only way to go with the IRS' (the bass panels had their own ss "servo" amps built in), and c-j tubes were a popular choice for them, but even with tube amps, some used to cover the IRS' tweeters with tissue paper to attenuate the brightness. In as much as that might seem to be an anathema on a speakers that cost around 50-60$K in the late 1980's, it was pretty effective. I even have a friend that uses the same fix today on some old Linn speakers.
Those IRS' midrange/tweeters did some magical things, and are still sought after today, but obviously they weren't perfect (at least IMHO).
I believe your speakers have a nominal impedance of about 6 Ohms, but I have no idea what the minimal impedance is. The use of self powered subs might be very advantageous with them, but that's purely speculative on my part.
As well as I can remember (not very well), I remember the Kappas as being OK, but found other alternatives preferable. You might very well disagree.
The c-j I hyperlinked is actually a tube/ss hybrid, seemed like a calculated safe choice. YMMV.