can a new amp amp tame my speakers?

Just spent some time listening to what I've been planning to upgrade to for main speakers. PSB Synchronys. The Imagine T2's are close, but slightly veiled in comparison. My current, but old, Infinity Kappa 7's really don't give much away to the PSB's. My amp is an old Yamaha MX2, 125wpc, and I've heard them described as bright or harsh, and that's the only complaint I really have with the sound now. Can a well-chosen amp tame the highs on the Kappa'a, which use a ribbon-style tweeter? Or is the 'taming' I seek only going to happen with a speaker upgrade. I honestly don't mind upgrading the speakers, and fully expected to, but after today's auditioning, I'm wondering if I'm going to get that much benefit from that level of investment. $3500+ is a healthy chunk of coin for benefits of slimmer profile and tamed highs. In terms of imaging, weight, and bass, the Kappa's are equal, imo. The system is also the theater, but the avr can power the surrounds, so an amp upgrade could be 2 channel. A power boost is a must too, as the current 125wpc isn't enough for when wifey's not home and the volume gets wound up ;)
english210
wow!I gave a well educated fact!,A used krell amp would give you the sound you are seeking for your infinitys!way better than parasound ever thought about sounding!,even a used intergrated amp like a 300I, 400xI, a used pure class A fpb 200 that goes for $2,500.00 to $3,500.00 would litterally destroy a parasound amp with its sound quality!,I have experience with ribbon speakers,with the right amp your infinitys that I am familiar with as well,would sing!,with these krell amps,and they will not make you morgage the house to do it!your infinitys will out perform those psb,paradighm speakers period with a good amp!,A tube pre-amp would be the finishing touches to a good sound for ribbon speakers!happy listening!
The problem is, as I see it, there are very few 'Facts' in this hobby that is so dependant on personal preference. I've read a lot about Krell, and others, and have no doubt they would drive the Infinity's, or any other speaker, with ease. My reading (which is all I have since I can't audition all the candidates) says they may not be the best choice for a laid back top end, which I think I need to tame the Emit tweeters. Being familiar with those, you know they aren't shy. So, although current and 'balls' are necessary for the low end on the Kappa's, and the Krell has that in spades, I also need a 'softer'(?) top end. Other's have suggested a Butler, C-J, and others, and I believe they 'know' that their suggestions would also give me what I need. The Odyssey would be new, and under $1500.00, and that's where I'm aiming, although there is a used 400Xi on fleabay for $1800, and I think on the 'gon for a little less. Klaus @ Odyssey says his Khartago, upgraded, will make my Infinities sound better than I ever thought they could, apples and oranges. I'm....sceptical...that there would be that much difference, however I do believe it'll be a big plus. Everyone here has supported my basic premise, that a good amp can in fact tame my speakers, so I don't feel it's a fool's errand. If the Odyssey does fall short, I can send it back, if a used Krell (or any other used amp) fails to impress, it's not so easy. I don't believe there is one right answer, I'm taking all the suggestions and investigating on my own.
Thanks again.
well put English210,still,the krells mentioned above have finese and a laid back sound on the treble,they are in no way forward sounding!,do keep me posted here on your quest,I know krell is not the only answer here,just one of them,happy listening!
FWIW, I had a Krell 400xi with Martin Logans and Joseph Audio 25xl and enjoyed it. Not bright like the Krell reputation. Only sold it to go to separates. YMMV unfortunately!!!

You can study and read til the cow's come home, it's good to do your homework, but you will need to hear in your system to see what you like. You may find the soft top end boring/polite once you hear it.

Have Fun and enjoy learning! The journey is most of the fun.
I'm not elliminating anything yet, except things I just can't afford. I am also one prone to wait a little longer to get the $$ for what I really want, instead of compromise and then wish I'd spent the extra, but there are options that just aint gonna happen, too. That's part of what's going on now. I know that ultimately, until I pull the trigger, the 'answer' will remain unsure. I also feel that any of the amps suggested will likely serve the purpose, and there's not likely to be just one 'right' answer. Maybe part of it is the 'offer I can't refuse' that hasn't quite happened yet. But I do at least know of lots more options thanks to the answers I've received here.

So, anyone got a 400xi for $500?? :)