can a new amp amp tame my speakers?

Just spent some time listening to what I've been planning to upgrade to for main speakers. PSB Synchronys. The Imagine T2's are close, but slightly veiled in comparison. My current, but old, Infinity Kappa 7's really don't give much away to the PSB's. My amp is an old Yamaha MX2, 125wpc, and I've heard them described as bright or harsh, and that's the only complaint I really have with the sound now. Can a well-chosen amp tame the highs on the Kappa'a, which use a ribbon-style tweeter? Or is the 'taming' I seek only going to happen with a speaker upgrade. I honestly don't mind upgrading the speakers, and fully expected to, but after today's auditioning, I'm wondering if I'm going to get that much benefit from that level of investment. $3500+ is a healthy chunk of coin for benefits of slimmer profile and tamed highs. In terms of imaging, weight, and bass, the Kappa's are equal, imo. The system is also the theater, but the avr can power the surrounds, so an amp upgrade could be 2 channel. A power boost is a must too, as the current 125wpc isn't enough for when wifey's not home and the volume gets wound up ;)
english210
@ English210,congradulations!,keep us posted on the sound of the amp you obtained with your infinitys!,I am currious of the match!thanks!cheers!
Me too! Very curious! Thanks again. If this used Odyssey hadn't come along right when it did, I probably would have gone with one of the Krell's, since I've known about them forever, and like many, listed after one...this way though, my theory as to 'fixing' the issue with my kappas by giving them 'real' power can be tested with less $$ risk. If it doesn't work?....well, that's the fun of the hobby, right??
@ English210,There is alot of amps out there that have alot of power that sounds like crap!,The design of the amp really matters!,the particular sound of an amp may not be for the infinitys you have,even thou it has power to spare!,unfortunally,Its a gamble!,look,Krell makes a older intergrated called the 300I that you would be able to buy for $800.00 to $1,200.00 that would be great,unless your speakers are below 4 oms,that I believe they are not!,this krell intergrated amp is 150 watts per channel!,research the awards this ole amp has,and the user feedbacks,you will be surprised!,if the amp you just bought does not work for you,this is the best value in the used market that I know of!cheers!
Audiolabyrinth, OK, thanks again. Talking to the seller on the Odyssey, he echoed what i've heard/read, so I should be all set. Looking forward to finding out.
Since you know Krell, what about the KAV250a? It has been on my radar as well, and certainly has the power, as long as it has the sound...
@ english210,I would not wast my time on eany Kav seperates!the intergrateds are as good,If you want to go seperates I would do the ole kas models,fpb full power balanced models,an fpb 200 is used market $2,000.00 to $3,000.00 and well worth the money!,and the KAS model amps are older than fpb but sound good to for the budget we are tring to work with here.,there really is not alot of difference in volume between 150 watts a channel and 250 watts a channel,thats why I said the intergratededs are a better deal,you also get a good pre-amp built in!cheers!