can a new amp amp tame my speakers?

Just spent some time listening to what I've been planning to upgrade to for main speakers. PSB Synchronys. The Imagine T2's are close, but slightly veiled in comparison. My current, but old, Infinity Kappa 7's really don't give much away to the PSB's. My amp is an old Yamaha MX2, 125wpc, and I've heard them described as bright or harsh, and that's the only complaint I really have with the sound now. Can a well-chosen amp tame the highs on the Kappa'a, which use a ribbon-style tweeter? Or is the 'taming' I seek only going to happen with a speaker upgrade. I honestly don't mind upgrading the speakers, and fully expected to, but after today's auditioning, I'm wondering if I'm going to get that much benefit from that level of investment. $3500+ is a healthy chunk of coin for benefits of slimmer profile and tamed highs. In terms of imaging, weight, and bass, the Kappa's are equal, imo. The system is also the theater, but the avr can power the surrounds, so an amp upgrade could be 2 channel. A power boost is a must too, as the current 125wpc isn't enough for when wifey's not home and the volume gets wound up ;)
english210
@ english210,I would not wast my time on eany Kav seperates!the intergrateds are as good,If you want to go seperates I would do the ole kas models,fpb full power balanced models,an fpb 200 is used market $2,000.00 to $3,000.00 and well worth the money!,and the KAS model amps are older than fpb but sound good to for the budget we are tring to work with here.,there really is not alot of difference in volume between 150 watts a channel and 250 watts a channel,thats why I said the intergratededs are a better deal,you also get a good pre-amp built in!cheers!
OK, thanks. The Stratos should be here tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes. Klaus said I paid 'about right', and offered to do whatever may become necessary to upgrade it if needed. He told me to start by leaving it on for a couple of days, and make sure it's warm to the touch, but not hot. I'm like a kid at Christmas, waiting for the Fedex truck...:)
@ English210,Man-o-man do I know were you are coming from with waiting for that delivery!,I am a kid at christmas my self when it comes to that!I will be waiting here to hear what you have to say about the amp,damn,now you got me excited!,LOL,its not even my amp!cheers and good luck with this amp!,happy listening!
In answer to the original question, I'll have to say I need a few days for it to warm up, but so far....happyhappyhappyhappy!!!

The initial impact was in the bass. I guess that's where 'pact' is, but you get my meaning. I went to straight two channel, no 'sub out' from avr. I've checked three times so far, the sub really is not on. I've never heard these speakers put out bass like this! My wife in the other room even commented, positively.

Volume levels are increased, and highs are better...not as smooth as I'd like, maybe, but let me give it time. I am hearing more material..almost to the level of some new 805 Diamonds I listened to a few months back. That was 10K worth of amps and speakers. Yes, there is still a little too much brightness...but it is better, and I know it takes a few days for this amp to sound right..

More later, gotta change discs