Current amp vs Voltage amp

Two different topologies with different intent. There are arguments for and against both technologies. Not having a electronics background I'm tying to get a clearer understanding.

Speaker matching including impedance and power requirements: how does one match 1:1 :: amps:speakers? General rule of Higher sensitivity benign/high impedance to tubes, and, low medium/sensitivty variable impedance to SS (considering they can be of higher power rating)?

This is not to see which is best, but to better understand the process of matching components.
deadlyvj
I don't mean to sound picayune, but I would once again call attention to the first of my posts dated 5-5-13 in this thread, dealing with terminology. IMO the terms "voltage amp" and "current amp" are incorrect and misleading.

A "voltage amp" would be one that amplifies voltage. A "current amp" would be one that amplifies current. But all or nearly all amplifiers amplify both. What is really being referred to are amps that act as voltage sources, and amps that act as current sources. But that isn't right either, in most cases, because most of the amps that are being referred to as acting as current sources only act in that manner to an extremely loose approximation.

What would be better, IMO, is to refer to amps that have negligibly small output impedance (i.e., most solid state amps) and amps having significant output impedance (i.e., most tube amps and a few solid state amps). Or, alternatively, using Atmasphere's terminology, amps conforming to the "voltage paradigm" and amps conforming to the "power paradigm."

Regards,
-- Al
Al, that is why I came up with the 'Paradigm' part of it. In investigating this topic years ago what I found was just as you pose in your last post, that the terms are slung loosely and freely, resulting in a lot of confusion.

On top of that, I used the word 'paradigm' since a paradigm is a platform of thought, outside of which exists only blasphemy. This is why you see such staunch argument on this topic!

I also saw failure. I say this because whenever a new technology comes along, if it is really better it will supplant the prior art. In the case of audio, the Voltage Paradigm and all that it entails failed to supplant the Power Paradigm which was the only game in town before 1956 or so. The proof of that? Tubes are still in production 60 years on, audiophiles still can't tell how an amp sounds by looking at the spec sheet. The tubes/transistor debate and the objectivist/subjectivist debate have raged on the internet as long as the internet has existed.

If you look at internal combustion, the overhead valve supplanted the side valve in the early 1950s with no-one looking back except collectors. That should have happened in audio too, but it didn't, for the simple reason that the Voltage Paradigm was not in fact better. It was just different.
05-14-13: Hifigeek1
It might interest you to know that the Quad 405 current dumping solid state amp which was designed for use with the Quad 57 and later the Quad 63 actually damaged the speaker because is lacked a limiter. The amp was capable of producing to much output for either speaker. A limiter add on circuit board was designed for the 405-2 to stop the damage. Ten different iterations of clamp circuit boards were designed for the Quad 63 speaker so that when the clamp engaged, it didn't blow up the amp powering it. Quad had it right with their original QuadII amps which were tube. Quads prefer voltage amps not current amps. The Quad 57 wanted to see no more than 40 Vp-p or about 25Wrms across 8 ohms.

fwiw

I used the 405-2 with the limiter with my WPK Quad 57’s. It sounded ok. The 405 was bettered by the Music Reference RM10 which was also designed for the Quad 57’s and no fear of damaging them. Sold the 405.

Cheers.
Powered speakers can be sold with separate power units chosen specifically for the task at hand, the way some speakers are sold with separate cross-overs, or have upgradeable power modules. I typically (always?) prefer systems that have speakers with low impedances rather than higher impedances. Historically speakers with lower impedances are more likely to be able to produce wave form fidelity than speakers with higher impedances. There are many good reasons for speakers to have a low impedances and the market place has proven this for a long time now.
Unsound,
I believe the marketplace is a strong case for what's convenient and expedient but not for superior sound quality as the objective. I realize you and I are at different ends of the spectrum, but the introduction of low impedance speakers wasn't a direction chosen for improved music reproduction .These sre probably the easier design vs high impedance speakers Al and Ralph do make a more compelling argument in my opinion. I do appreciate your comments and contributions to the dialog here.Variety is the spice of life afterall.
Regards,