Audio Research Vs115

I'm look at trading my amp in for an Audio research VS115 tube amp. I'm using a PS audio perfectwave as my source. Anyone had experience with this amp.

I auditioned it yesterday with Burmester B25 speakers and it sounded great.

Love to hear your experiences with this amp...thanks
mherron
I own the VS-115. I can't say enough positive things about it. I've read old posts from other members who claimed it sounded 80-85+ percent as good as the now discontinued Ref 110. If you decide to spring for the VS-115, use KT-120 tubes. They make a big difference. If you check the A'gon ads, I recall seeing one or two used VS-115s for sale for around $4K or less, which is a very good deal considering a new VS-115 retails for $7K.

Two caveats. The VS-115 has been around for a while. I wouldn't be surprised if ARC comes out with a replacement model soon. Not to say that's bad. It may even put a downward pressure on the used VS-115 market.

The other point relates to maintenance. I've owned my VS-115 for about 3 years. So far only one maintenance issue, but I suspect this applies to most tube amps.

On occasion, usually when I replace power tubes, a new tube may arc taking out a bias resister. The part costs about a buck -- it's the labor cost and out of service time that is annoying. Fortunately, I live near an ARC authorized service tech who makes house calls. He charges me between $80-$100 to soldier in a new resister, usually within 1 day after I call him.

If you're handy with a soldiering iron and can stay away from lethal high voltage sources, you can replace the resister yourself. Otherwise, be prepared for the occasional blown bias resister.
I bought a VS115 brand new from my local AR dealer. Within the first week, a resistor blew up, probably the same as Bifwynne referred to in the note above. I think this isn't acceptable and the AR engineers should figure out a fix and make it free to VS115 owners. When it happened, it scared the crap out of me because the resistor made a loud pop and I later found the blown resistor on the shelf below the amp. I returned the VS115 that same week for full credit towards my current McIntosh MC452 SS power amp and I'm happy. The experience was great since my dealer, Paragon Sight and Sound in Ann Arbor, MI took care of me.
At a fraction of the cost of that ARC (which I had considered buying at one point) I bought a new "factory upgraded" Jolida 502p about a year and a half ago, stuck KT120s in it, and am very happy with it...reliable, quiet, and powerful...unlike myself. I was lead to it (and the VS) because I wanted an "old school looking" amp with XLR inputs. I'm sure other's get sick of my mentioning this amp, but Jolida rarely gets reviews in the press and I think they're a cool little company (the MD guys) that deserves more attention. Like a puppy.
Smatsui, not sure you laid out all the relevant facts about your resister problem. But based on what you did say, I surmise the VS-115 was under warranty since the resister problem occurred within one week of taking delivery from your dealer. When one of my bias resisters blew, my amp was still under warranty. ARC sent a tech to my house to fix it -- free of charge.

Bias resisters do double duty as fuses when a tube arcs. Tube arcing goes with the territory with tube amps. Now . . . as to engineering, I understand some manufacturers make self biasing amps with mini fuses for each power tube. Don't remember the models - sorry. OTOH, it is my understanding that ARC intentionally passed on that configuration to keep as much artifacts out of the circuit as possible.

I have heard of bias resisters making quite the racket when they do their job. Can't say I heard one took a ride out of the amp, but I guess sh*t happens.

If the problem you experienced was indeed as I surmised above, ARC would have fixed it in your house, the fix taking all of 30 to 40 mins. And I want to emphasize, power tubes are glitchy when new and have a tendency to arc during break in. If they do arc, something has to give or the circuits could fry.

Here's my bottom line: as soon as I get beyond the "tube break in nervosa period," I have little if any problems with my VS-115. And the double bottom line is that the amp sings.

I'm glad you found another fine amp to pick up the slack. But all of my electronic gear is ARC and except for the occasional pesky tube arc, I have no complaints. In contrast, after tweaking this and that, my rig is very musical and enjoyable.

If Gary (Hifigeek1), an ARC authorized tech, catches this thread, perhaps he can weigh in with his comments.