Pass Labs XP-20 or Audio Research Ref 3?

Who's compared the two in your system?
Please let me know. Thanks
alan2
Alan2-

In separate systems I preferred the ARC Ref5 SE compared to the ARC Ref3. This pre is best mated w/ Wilson speakers and Transparent cables/cords. Probably the best tubed- pre out there, until I demo a Conrad Johnson ART3.

Conversely, the Pass XP-20 is the finest solid-state pre that I have auditioned to date (the XP-30 is on my short-list as I write). It plays well (no pun) w/ not only Pass amps but other manufacturers amps as well. During demo we used Threshold, Parasound, Aesthetix and Pass power amps.
Associated cables/cords were Silent Source (my fave!), Audioquest and Signal Cable.

Hope this helps.
The XP-20 is still a very good pre amp. Don't get me wrong. I was very happy with it for 2 years of time. It still did cost a lot of money.

To understand what is possible with roomcorrection. You need to do many tests. Second it is good luck that it gives me the freedom to change so many things. Without this space of freedom it would not be possible.

I wrote Pass, that there is a need for highend roomcorrection. Because the limitation of acoustics is still too big. The advantages of roomcorrection are so big that without it, it would never become this good.

You need to understand the advantages and also the disadvantages of roomcorrection to use it to the max. But I can garantee you that it brings you to a much higher level in endresults you would think of now. And yess there are many room acoustic systems who are not that special.

In my opinion there is only a few % of everything what is being developed in the world of audio what can be exeptional good. Most of the time you never will win any war with it. That is why I hate all the grap there is on the market. I know many expensive stuff what has nothing to do with quality or the real thing!!
Dear Peter,

I think there should be a better solution for roomacoustics. I like systems like Trinnov. It works very well. But it misses the extra dynamics and improving of resolution and articulation.

I know what it needs in my head. This is how I work. I am Always looking for that what I have in mind. And then the creation starts. When you are aware of the properties/qualities of an amp, source, cable, speaker etc. you can use them all togheter. When you don't know this, it can go in any direction. All the tests I did learned me to use the tools much better. Audio is all about the art of sound. Making the right combination.

I owned many highend stuff. I am Always focussed on creating a 3 dimensional image. My knowledge has given many people a much higher endresult in sound. These days I can even create a 3 dimensional image for less money. This makes it more affordable for much more people. I see it in there reaction, smile and feedback. In 8 days of time I have to install 3 very nice systems. These people did not know me, or I know them either. They heard sytems I sold and were amazed. Quality sells very easy. I sell sound. You will get a 3 dimensional sound at the end. I create the best endresult. This is a totally different way of what most people do in this business. I like to send clients to many shops as possible. Because this is the best way of convincing them how much lower the endresult can be. Most of all the shops and companies who work in sound and vision sell 2 dimensional sound. This makes it very easy for me to win.

With my way of measurment I even can bring down the stage to a normal height, even when the speakers are at the sealing. That is why I want to do yachts as well. Because the companies who do it. Sell 2 dimensional sound for a lot of money. I can beat these people with ease as well.

Many people spend a lot of money on sound and vision and at the end they get a very average or even poor endresult. This is the most important reason why I am still in this business.I want people to enjoy there music at the max. Because I love music. That is why I sell emotion instead of boxes. I want as many people as possible to enjoy the thing I love most; MUSIC
Bo, I was interested in what you think is a "stunning" pre amp. It is now clear that you don't really want to share your opinion. That's fine.

I'd still like to see a system description and some photographs though.
Maybe it is not there. Because there is no highend pre amp with roomcorrection in one box.

All the expensive pre amps people own here on audiogon still do not use roomcorrection. Even if you have a good acoustic room, it is till being effected by the room.

I am a perfectionist, I can hear in about 10 seconds with my own music what a set has and what is missing for what I call Total Sound. I visited many people with expensive sets. There is still missing too much.

Even a good pre amp does not solve this. I am very interested in the new Pass Labs power amps. For me Pass Labs is the most complete brand in making poweramps. In my world Pass Labs poweramps are stunning. And there pre amps are very good, but not stunning.