Anthem AV receiver better than Denon as a preamp

I asked this question in a previous thread and it turned into a bit of a gongshow, so I am going to try it again, but ask a very specific question this time.

Once again, I NEED to utilize an AV receiver in my setup. I have a 3 channel Bryston 5Bst amp utilized through the preamp outs on my Denon 2808ci to power my front L front R and center. The AVR powers the rears and a second zone (my patio).
I am not in love with how my Denon performs as a pre for music ( but a separate 2 channel pre is not an option for many reasons..respectfully, please don't suggest). I am currently looking at the Anthem MRX line of AV receivers.
Does anyone have any experience using these ? Would this provide me a significant enough improvement over my Denon when using as a preamp (and powering my rears and 2nd zone)?
dallyd31
Anthem sounds alot better than any denon receiver regardless of price. I use to own two different "flagship" receivers from denon and the anthem sound wise is a clear winner . All 3 of anthems receivers will sound the same used as a pre. since you do not need amplification the smallest model will work . Only benefit of going with the middle or top model is bigger amp power and the internet streaming capabilities .
Take a look at Kal Rubinson's reveiew of the MRX 700 in Stereophile if you have not already He even tried it with a Bryston amp. He throught the MRX 700 amps sounded almost as good as the Bryston so the theater match should be good. And he very much liked the 2 channel sound. He is one reviewer I trust.
As this is your second post on the matter, we should all be very clear by now that you require an AVR that is also great at 2 channel stereo as well as HT. So I will definitely say on topic and talk AVR's only.

From what I have heard, I don't think the Anthems will give you what you are looking for. They are pretty much designed and priced to compete with mainstream AVR's (Denons) in the HT market and the ones I have heard in "pure direct" mode had the same unimpressive sound quality as all the other mainstream brands. Great at HT; but undesireable in Stereo. Might as well keep the Denon.

In your other post, I also recommended Arcam and still do. Suggest you audition the AVR600 & 400 models. They cost more but as a higher end product, they are drawing upon Arcams 2 channel pedigree. These I did listen too and IMO, were among the best out there at 2 channel in an AVR. Hope this helps.
I am going to stick by my NAD AVR suggestion in the other thread. I am completely amazed daily how well my older NAD T773 receiver and T175HD pre/pro handle 2-channel music. Get the 2nd from top T775HD or T775HD2 and don't look back. I have had zero reliablity issues with either of my NAD's and they sure create a very distinct 3-dimensional stage in my room.

Don't know what your budget is but here is a link.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/receivers-nad-t775-hd2-3d-ready-home-theater-receiver-with-warranty-and-free-shipping-2013-01-27-miscellaneous-01060

Bill
Odd about the Anthem. I hear good things and the Stereophile review is great, but paraneer say it is no better than the Denon. Not sure what to think.
Would love the Arcam, but may be a bit out of my budget. Also regarding NAD, great stuff, but they have just had so many reliability issues I am leary. Especially when buying used like I am looking to do to keep it afforadable (for example, the Anthem MRX 500 is $1500 new, but I can get used locally for $750). Would like to keep it under $1200