New tv?

Well it looks like the not so old Samsung 50 inch plasma is on its last legs. It has a blue vertical band running down the left side and repair folks are telling me it is likely the display panel which cost as much or more than a new TV to repair. So what are you folks liking these days as the best TV for home theater? This is a set up with an oppo 103 and NAD integrated amp and Sonus fabar toy towers. We are looking for a 55 inch set and are wondering if plasma is still the best way to go? As always thanks for any suggestions.
audiowoman
I have a Fujitsu plasma that is at least 10 years old and Sony's xbr lcd from 2 years ago. Not too close. Fujitsu plasma is still better in all respects.
Today I installed a new Panasonic plasma. GT60, black were stunning and yess they are more dynamic in light over last year. But Samsung is still sharper and there topmodels have more output in light.
Bo, once the TV has been on for I believe it is 200 hours, you should have it professionally calibrated, unless you know how to do this yourself. I watched the guy do it, and could do it myself now. I could not believe the difference this made. But it has to break in first before this can be/should be done.
Yess it does, and I use a device to calibrate. First we have to wait for this. But that will not solve the output in light issue. Plasma will become more smooth after breaking in. Samsung plasma looks a lot more different than Panasonic Plasma. I prefer Samsung over Panasonic, no doubt about it. Also from this screen I do not like the cheep material on the Plasma. The more expensive Samsung use better and a lot more appealing material Panasonis uses.
Post removed