'Holographic Sound Stage?'

Well, please tell me what this is exactly? It seems to be the seeing of what we are hearing - fingers on instrument.. lip shapes.. air around the body - even how tall and how fat!! When had we had heard 'holographic sound stage' in real life other then between our own HI-END speakers?
luna
It is an interesting phenomenon or paradox. Holographic soundstaging is not part of a live musical event. Nevertheless, it seems to be one of the things that makes play back of recorded music seem more alive.
My modest little headphone system has quite good holographic soundstaging, you know, considering that it's a HEADPHONE system.
Peterayer,

I have Jim Smith's "Get Better Sound." He describes sound staging, imaging and so forth somewhat dismissively as "audiophile sound effects." I know his expertise far exceeds my own, but as I said, I'm not so sure I agree on this point.
Funny,

The setup I heard years ago in Jim Smith's old Audition store in Birmingham Alabama with Magnepans was one of the best ever, including holographic soundstage. Speakers were well out into the middle of the room, well away from walls.

Maybe the thing is that often best placement for holography and soundstage (generally away from walls) negatively affects bass levels/tonal balance and dynamics. Reconciling the two is often constrained by speaker design/type used and may require tweaks to room acoustics as well. Speakers that are designed to work full range well away from walls might have an advantage, though certainly very good results can still be achieved with speakers closer to walls, as long as sound smearing early reflections can be avoided.
I probably should restate my position. I'm all for a great soundstage, in fact, I always end up with one when voicing a system.

However, I feel that it can serve as more of a distraction if the main event - the music's impact - is not portrayed as convincingly as possible. Tone, presence, & dynamics - the things that allow the music to tug at our heartstrings, live or reproduced.

At least for me, a soundstage helps to suspend disbelief when I cannot actually see the performers or the venue. And we've all experienced the lack of that same experience at live concerts.

When we find ourselves regularly listening for these sounds, rather than finding ourselves falling into the music, that's a concern - again, at least to me.

But as I said, I want both (but in my version of established priorities). :)

Best,

Jim Smith