SL1200 upgrade tonearm or replace cartridge?

The upgrade bug has started to bite again. I'm thinking of upgrading my tonearm from a stock sl1200 tone arm with cards wires to a SME arm (309, IV, or V).

My other issue is that my cartridge, a Benz Glider homc, I nearing the point where it could use a re-tip or exchange.

My budget is limited, so I can only do one of the above this year.

So my question is, which upgrade cart or arm?

Is the glider a good fit for the SME arms?

Which SME arm is the best fit for the SL1200?
nick_sr
03-04-13: Dave_72
Oh ok, thanks for that. Interesting stuff. However, the stock tonearm on the 1210M5G doesn't ring or send subsonic signals through my speakers when tapped. And the 'table doesn't howl at high volumes. Maybe it's true that this is a better, more heavy duty model over a stock 1200 MK. 2.

My rig is also an SL1210 M5G with an AT150 MLX cartridge. However, every tweak I added as shown in the picture of my turntable produced an audible improvement in frequency linearity, dynamics, clarity, or lowered noise floor. When I tapped the tonearm I didn't get *subsonic* ringing, but a marked resonance where midrange hands off to treble. Still, much of this tweaking may be system-dependent and your TT could be a more natural match for your rack, wiring, electronics, speakers, component layout, and room.

The tonearm of the SL1210 M5G is different from the other 1200 series in a couple of ways--it's wired with oxygen-free copper and there is a set screw near the pivot for adjusting for DJ scratching. Other than that it's the same as the others--same weight, same shape, same bearings, no physical damping of the tube.
Same toneam Dave, only differece is in the pitch control. All tonearms contribute unwanted resonances, some systems aren't revealing enough or have too much distortion to notice. I'm glad your happy with the sound of your table, it's a great music maker. It's tough to be satisfied in this hobby.
Ok, well Technics and KAB says (or said) better damping of the tonearm and higher quality OFC cabling.

http://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/1200bld.htm

Of course there is better, but I have a hard time justifying the prices when the Technics does a lot for me sound wise.

03-05-13: Dave_72
Of course there is better, but I have a hard time justifying the prices when the Technics does a lot for me sound wise.

I agree. In the belt drive world, turntables that have the speed accuracy of the Technics cost $2500 or more. However, for very few dollars you can add vibration control tweaks to the SL12x0 series that lower the noise floor and improve dynamics, clarity, detail, smoothness and linearity.

Aside from KABUSA's $150 tonearm damper, many of the other tweaks are relatively inexpensive. Using Teflon pipe thread tape, you can wrap the tonearm for about 15 cents and get a smoother midrange.

Another very cost-effective improvement is to toss the stock Technics feet and place the turntable on a set of Vibrapod Cones, setting the turntable's female thread sockets (where the feet screwed in) directly on top of the metal balls of the Vibrapod Cones. For another improvement, set the Vibrapod Cones on top of matching (and weight-matched) Vibrapod Isolators. This entire tweak costs $56 and does wonders for inner detail and clarity. Vibrapod has a 30-day return period so your experimentation is protected.

You'll also notice a drop in record surface noise with KAB's Record Grip.

Even with these tweaks the SL1210M5G is a stone cold bargain. It enables you to retain the SL1210's strengths while reducing or eliminating many of its weaknesses.
Hi Johnnyb53,

Wow, so it takes that much money? What you think of the new-ish Luxman turntable?

http://www.onahighernote.com/luxman/?c=7&id=57

I see there's endless mods for the Technics. I just might try some of those down the road. Meanwhile, I'm content with running it bone stock.

Yeah, KAB also has dedicated twist down clamp for the Technics. It's fairly new in the KAB lineup.

Definitely a bargain. No argument here!