Why will no other turntable beat the EMT 927?

Having owned many good turntables in my audiophile life I am still wondering why not one of the modern designs of the last 20 years is able to beat the sound qualities of an EMT 927.
New designs may offer some advantages like multiple armboards, more than one motor or additional vibration measurements etc. but regarding the sound quality the EMT is unbeatable!
What is the real reason behind this as the machine is nearly 60 years old, including the pre-versions like the R-80?
thuchan
Thuchan, I have both platters too but I ended up using the original felt platter. The glass platter seems more detailed, I don't think that it really is though but its also somewhat harder sounding than the felt platter. Initially I thought that the felt platter was wooly compared to the glass one but then I realized that its musically more homogenous so I went back to it. Of course the choice is a matter of the reproduction chain and personal preference.

Do you mind if I ask what you have for the rest of your system?
Dear Thuchan, Can you elaborate on the necessity to "align" the Boulder 2008? I have never heard that term applied to a phono stage. Thanks.
Dkarmeli,
I got my R 80 with the glass platter and went then for the felt platter because a friend of mine exactely described what you realized.

my system is a very humble one: ARC 40 preamp and EMT JPA66 preamp (also phono), Wavac HE 833 II amps, Bavarian Voice speakers (5 way horn system plus Subs, TAD drivers and SupraVox fieldcoil). different tables, phono pres (Zanden, Boulder, Kondo, EMT), SUTs (also WE618) and all what you need to put into arms ...

on digital dCS, Accuphase, Wadia and Esoteric.
When I returned from Tokyo I realised a dream I always had, building a listening room. Maybe this project became more important for me than single audio units - the planning phase took me on a two years trip and I learned a lot about room acoustics.
Dear Lewm,
the Boulder 2008 phonostage comes with personality cards for the cartridge set up. The cards serve two functions - switches to set the electronics for the type of cartridge used at the input, and places to solder the custom load termination resistor and capacitor. The cards provide also a Demag function.

I am using Vishay resistors. The perfect and ideal matching cartridge loading - as I have found out - is quite a busy job. I am pretty sure that most users only go for the shipped cards. This is what I also learned from the reviews :-)
I also pretty much enjoy having installed two additional equalization cards carrying two more equalization curves, so now providing RIAA, EMI and Columbia.
btw Mike Fremer was right with his assessment on this unit despite some users prefer tubed phono stages.