Don't let this happen to you

I was just thinking of a performance of the BSO a couple years ago. Great performance all around. In the middle of Brahm's 4th symphony, the orchesstra paused between movements. An older gentleman 2 rows behind me thought they were finished, and started applauding wildly. When the rest of the hall was silent, he must have thought we didn't approve of the performance, but he was smart enough to know it was a good performance, so stood up and clapped more vigorously, shouting "Brava!! Brava!!" Again I was struck by his sophomoric intelligence, as he knew that Bravo wasn't always right, but apparently didn't realize that Brava applied only to a woman (the conductor was a man), and should have said Bravo (for the conductor)or Bravi (for the orchestra). The conductor was graceful, and just stood there with his head down, until someone finally reigned the guy in. Too funny!! I always wait until everyone else is clapping befrore I start.
honest1
I was in Symphony Hall Boston on Friday afternoon listening to James Levine conduct a marvelous performance of works that had been commisioned by the BSO.

After a movement of the Dutilleux 2nd symphony that ended in absolute silence, just as Mr. Levine relaxed his arms and smiled at the orchestra; and just before the audience started the obligatory squirming and coughing, someone back in the hall shouted 'YIP!!!'...as if they had been goosed!!!

Maestro Levine looked at the concertmaster to see if they should proceed. Had someone fallen ill? Had someone been attacked or fallen from the balcony? The violinist looked out at the audience with a stern look to see what was going on.

I think the only explanation is the terribly uncomfortable seats in that hall cause unexplainable behavior - like forgetting that Brahms wrote symphonies with 4 movements.

The acoustics of Symphony Hall are perfection, however. That was my first time there. Probably the best large hall I've experienced (including Carnegie!)
Personally, I love it when people clap between mvmts. It's a signal that more of the uninitiated are experimenting with classical music!

There are times when I wish the symphony were more like a football game. It would be awesome to have people start chanting your name and holding up signs that say "John 3:16" after a big solo :)
Honest1, what a great, interesting & informative story! I most definately after reading this, have learned something, maybe to never clap again.
Hey, in all the 30+ concerts, I attended over the past 8 year in Albuquerque,
people were clapping and shouting 'Bravo' inbetween all movements. I loved
it; it's a very unprententous, natural reaction. And the New Mexico Symphony
Orchestra and the conductor, Guillermo Figueroa, is amazingly good (in
particular for one of the poorest states in the US), so why not show your
enjoyment :)
Honest1, your post reminds me of the special energy that can happen when listening to jazz, live in a small club with an uninhibited audience. The synergy between the crowd and the soloists can take it to another level--with applause, shouts, and other random acknowledgements of pleasure. That's the one thing I miss when listening to jazz on my system at home.
Joe