Zappa?

In an ongoing exploration of various musical styles, I've run across Frank Zappa's Grand Wazoo. It's been a long time since I listened to Zappa, and I found the Grand Wazoo to be entertaining. What recommendations do you have for Zappa's works? What should be avoided?

As an aside, what album contains the line "help, I'm a rock..."?

John
johnrob
One of my favorite concert memories was sitting on the floor in front of Frank Zappa at the Park Center (think small)in Charlotte NC and watching his band, with the full horn section preform 'the Grand Wazoo'. Amazing.
Zappa kinda lost me with his later stuff, but I always loved him. From the first time I heard 'Freak Out' as a little kid, I was fascinated by him and his music. My personal faves are mostly from before and including 'Overnight Sensation'. After that I kinda got burnt, a lot of the music seemed redundant, incredibly sophisticated background for his spoken word social commentary. A lot of people I know are mostly familiar with his later stuff, so thats just me I guess. Oh yes, plenty of awesome guitar jam. I would say 'Waka Jawaka Hot Rats' (totally separate album from 'Hot Rats')is the closest musically to "Grand Wazoo'. Go to his official website, maybe there are samples. Zappas influence on music and on guitar playing can not be overestimated. Have fun.

Overnight Sensation is my favorite Zappa - particularly Dynamo Hum. simply hilarious!
I would explore, in no particular order:
Hot Rats, Mothers live at the Fillmore (w/Flo & Eddie), Over Night Sensation and Apostrophe.
There are plenty of other great FZ records especially the older Mothers efforts; Freak Out, Absolutely Free , We're Only In it For The Money, etc.
I sorta lost interest after Joe's Garage, But lots of people love the Shut up and Play your Guitar era stuff...

Good luck, Just have fun, If you get Frank, there is nothing better!

"Help I'm a rock" I believe is on Absolutely Free But I'd have to go back and check to be certain.

just remember "we are the people that your mother warned you about"

Seric
"Help I'm a rock" comes from Freak Out!, which is also home to the wonderful diddy "It can't happen here." Not sure if that's the exact title but this album is a strong argument against drug abuse because if you listen to it while high (particularly the last couple of tracks) you will laugh so hard that you will probably wind up in the hospital.

There's something of merit in just about everything the guy did, but my personal favorite is (drum roll)...

ONE SIZE FITS ALL!!!

Silly, sublime and everything in between with plenty of blistering solos from FZ. Enjoy!