Re Miles Davis vinyl

Hi

Could someone tell me which Miles Davis vinyl is best for sound quality? How good, for example, are the reissues?

Thanks

Psc
psc
Buy the original mono Kind Of Blue 6 eyes label, play it with mono cartridge - IMHO it's the best... the reissues just won't do... it's expensive but the reissues aren't cheap either ;-)
Miles has produced such a wide range of work it would help if you revealed your favorites. This is an artist with an incredibly long career, releasing his first work in 1949 and continuing until his death in 1991.

Most of his original releases are on the Columbia label, but he worked with others, including Warner Brothers, Blue Note and Prestige.

The type and style of music varies radically through the years and by label. I love his offbeat work with Marcus Miller on "Siesta," although that style appears to be not as popular among other audiophiles.

The short answer: new releases are the same as for other artists, some are excellent and some not.

Speaking strictly on LP's, I have had excellent luck with Mosaic, Classic Records (both 33 &45) and Fantasy. Fantasy is home to record labels Prestige, Galaxy, Contemporary, Pablo, Riverside and Milestone. In my opinion, the $9.95 releases (typically called OJC or Original Jazz Classics) from Fantasy are excellent and compete with some of the high dollar pressings. Certainly a great place to start for not a lot of money.
I second Albertporter's endorsement of Miles on Mosaic. I own them all, and they are superb.
Hi

Weny, Unfortunaltly, I don't have a mono cartridge, but it is on my wish list.

Albertporter, It makes a lot of sense that recordings will differ because of the volume of Miles works. I like most of Miles Davis, so your general guidence will indeed be a help. I don't know how many times I have had to purchased several recordings of the same title to find one with good sound.

Thanks
Psc