Re Miles Davis vinyl

Hi

Could someone tell me which Miles Davis vinyl is best for sound quality? How good, for example, are the reissues?

Thanks

Psc
psc
Psc,

The 45 rpm vinyl reissues of the Miles Davis recordings that have been coming from Acoustic Sounds are very good, as are the several 33 rpm reissues from Classic Records. The 45 rpm reissues have all the additional sonic virtues one would expect from the 45 rpm mastering, and it's unlikely we'll ever hear these master tapes sound better on vinyl than they do in these releases. (Whether some of these master tapes have sound inherently to warrant the expense of the 45 rpm treatment is a different matter.)
you can buy Denon DL102 from audiocubes.com, i bought it - it's excellent!!!! the most great jazz is from the 50's, it's better to find a mono copy, not rechanelled stereo. even if stereo recording was done originally, I almost always found mono version better sounding. BTW, If I'm not mistaken Denon DL102 is only about $150, it's very good for the price!! and it doesn't need moving coil phono stage or any step-up's - it's high output - just to be connected to MM input.
Chazzbo
Albert is an Audiogon G-d but he is dead wrong about OJC re-issues. Fantasy just wasted bad remelt vinyl that sounds bad and start to develope surface noise after just a play or two. THEY SUCK!! All lip’s pressed after mid sixties started to sound bad because instead of virgin vinyl that would often re-use wax (re-melt) mix batch stuff that was terrible compared to the early sixties and before.

That's a shame you've had such negative experiences with OJC. I probably have a hundred of these and my experience is more like Hdm's
I'd like to hear an original, but the OJC is pretty impressive.

Most of mine were bought in the 1980's, some when Fantasy did their blow out sale in the 1990's and was selling 3 for $10.00!

Even at $9.95, the good ones are a terrific way to get good jazz music. I've found the Columbia reissues to be much more spotty and digital sounding than anything from Fantasy.

Perhaps the best thing is for Psc to take a gamble and try a few. We have a local book store that frequently buys record collections and I've picked up OJC's for as little as $4.00. If nothing else it's worth auditioning the music at that price.
the original columbia pressings of their given era are superior in every way. Sony is working on definitive, newly mastered releases.
I too bought OJC when they had their blow out sale and I find the pressings to be outstanding. I Bought mine through the mail from a dentist whom purchased the entire OJC vinyl catalog and sold them out of the warehouse. I don't have the problem Chazzbo has stated and we have discussed it in length on more than one occasion.